• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Housing Inspection Program

Uncle Bob

City of Miami, Oklahoma;

"No property owner shall sell, lease, rent, provide, or suffer the possession and occupancy of a residential dwelling unit absent compliance with this Section. Violation of this provision shall be punishable as a misdemeanor in the municipal court. Each day a violation occurs shall be punishable as a separate act.

All residential dwelling units are subject to the provision(s) of this Section upon the occurrence of any one or more of the following conditions:

1. Each time the primary occupant(s) change(s);

2. When the dwelling has been unoccupied in excess of 180 days;

3. When a utility account has closed or been transferred to another person(s);

4. When application is made for a Certificate of Occupancy after a structure has been condemned, determined to be "substantially damaged" under flood-related ordinance(s), or determined to be "dilapidated"."

Now, that's what I call job security for inspectors,

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
"...1. Each time the primary occupant(s) change(s)..."

I see lots of problems with that stipulation. I wonder what a primary occupant is, how many there might be, and whether any occupant must qualify and/or register as such?

Could be, "ain't nobody here but us chikins", verdad?

I the city has an housing inspection program, then they probably issue a certificate of occupancy. If that is the case, Jim, the primary occupants are the applicant and spouse. I have worked in jurisdictions in the past that had housing inspection programs. We used change in ownership and change of occupant as triggers for the inspections. We received a report from the power company when an account changed names.

When it's a change in ownership in a SFD, I believe this type of housing inspection to be fundamentally intrusive; most smart home buyers are going to pay an independent home inspector to cull out problems.

When it's a tenant change in a rental property, maybe. Here, the slumlords are identified by the jurisdiction and proactive housing inspections are scheduled.. annually, I believe.