• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How are Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) Impacting Neighborhood Character and Housing Affordability in Urban Areas?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I think this can be a loaded question. I know I continue to poke the bear with this subject, however, affordable housing and alternative housing is a very large problem in the US. Here are some thoughts on this.

With urban areas facing housing shortages and skyrocketing real estate prices, Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) have emerged as a potential solution, offering additional living spaces in established neighborhoods. However, their integration poses questions about maintaining the authentic character of these communities, infrastructure strain, and the balance between affordability versus property values. How do professionals in the building and planning sectors view the rise of ADUs? Are they a much-needed relief for housing crises or a potential disruption to neighborhood dynamics?

Have your planning boards or governing bodies tackled this yet?

Based on what I have picked up from various places, including the code hearings, codes have had the opportunity to get in front of the issue but failed to do so. My impression is that most don't see this as an issue because it is or should be addressed in the two-family dwellings provisions. Some would say it is a zoning issue that first needs to be addressed. The reality I see is that they are largely unregulated and most places do not treat them as two-family dwellings. Plus, without codes, in the few areas I have seen that zoning is involved, they are inventing requirements that are not consistent with codes. And of course, without hard lines, it can turn into the wild west. I see home depot sheds, home-made tiny houses, yurts, etc. being proposed. I am a "king of the castle" type of person, and generally in favor of less regulation rather than more, but this does need to be addressed somehow. A few proposals were made for the 24 IEBC, but they were not voted in.

The resulting unintended consequences were easy to predict. The streets were clogged with vehicles before the advent of ADUs. The plan that ADUs would ease the lack of affordable housing didn't happen. A lot of illegal garage conversions have become legal. When that happens, the rent increases and why would the owner of a brand new 1200 square foot house want to rent it for less than the maximum.

If you have an interest in finding overcrowding, follow the trash truck. Every house with six garbage cans has something going on.