• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How are we doing with Permits?

Decrease over the past 2 years. Down 30% from last year. We have a few large projects to keep the numbers looking good, though.

We are running about the same as last year.

Policy allows us to recover an additional permit fee on the overage where project costs exceed the cost stated on the permit application. I'm waiting to final one job that went over by about double!

Doing lots of garages, and patio covers, no other residential. Very little commercial. Got a couple of big industrial projects. So about the same as everyone else it sounds like.

RJJ said:
Been a while since I raised this question. How are we doing with permits? Are you seeing an increase, decrease or just holding on?
A good two week span: 20+ NSFR, 30 Residential Remodels, 4-6 Commercial Tenant Finishes/Remodels, 1 New Box & Tenant

A slow two week span: 8-10 NSFR, 10 Residential Remodels, 2 Commercial Tenant Finishes/Remodels

We have been very fortunate. AHJ for a city limit population base of 20,000, and 45,000 total in ETJ. While obviously not at the 2009 numbers, 2010 & 2011 have seen a steady even flow of projects, with a pick up in Commercial Tenant Finishes/Remodels (A-2/M/B) over the last 6 months. Within the last year we also received a Minor League Baseball Stadium, which we did not receive fees on, but kept us busy on plan review and inspections when other commercial was slow. Restaurant chains have increased lately, which is a good sign, as they usually are just ahead of the curve in consumer spending increases (IMO/E).

Just to add, we have several Multi-Family Apartment complexes that we have done prelim. design on. These should give us a good start on next year as our fiscal calendar is October to October.

We have seen an increase this year, probably due to the Boeing plant. I am not high enough up the food chain to know for sure, but I believe we have already met our budget numbers for this year.

We're up a few percent from FY10, which was up a few percent from 09. Unfortunately, we're still down about 20% from 07.

However, we have almost 100 million dollars in projects on the ground right now, and we're taking several more good sized ones through the planning process.

We've flatlined here.........

No new SFR, 1 TI, a couple minor remodels, a garage, and (holds breath) 1 major commercial project in the works.

My department is not paying for itself, hence the decrease in my training budget to $800. Last year had a training budget of $1000 and it was tough, this year it is just plain dismal. Oh well, at least it's not a code change year. ;)

I keep hearing about the sprinkler requirements for SFR that the State of CA is requiring and how no one is building because of it. Nearest C-16 contractor is 150 miles away......gee, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Took a hit last year on residential but commercial blew out the roof! Residential is coming back this year. Nothing like it was three or four years ago but commercial is still blowing through the roof!! In fact we have projects that will send us spinning out of control IF everything hits that is on the table.

We are small city of around 25,000 and about 80% built out but we just got word a couple of months ago that there is a BIG project that will start in the fall of 2012. 1.5 million square feet of retail space to be developed!!! Quite a big deal for our little city!!

Our permit numbers are down compared to last year... for a long time we were at 25% of revenues this year, and then [trumpets please] Wal-Mart came in with their gut and remodel of a store they closed last fall. They plan to be open for 'Black Friday' and I wish them well. This project is very well run, and the superintendent is a joy to work with. He's on top of it every minute. He's good at what he does. Have two other commercial projects on the horizon, and a few NSFRs, and a couple of TIs and that's about the hugeness of it. The usual remodels and small additions in houses. If this persists, we may be looking at an RIF. Ugh. Not pretty. Depressing to think about. I think I need to retire and go quilt and knit and grow a garden. :)

New SFR is about 1/3 of 2007 numbers and has been the last 3 years, SFR remodels are going crazy, commercial has held steady and is up this year. Public projects have kept us pretty busy the last two years. Multi-family boomed the last two years, then flatlined this year, but had a couple of assisted living projects show up to fill the void.

Revenues have been enough to meet expenses and a little more.

For the future we have several commerical projects moving forward slowly, some more assisted and senior housing going thru the development process, and plenty of SFR lots for new homes, but not many being built on. A couple of new subdivisions have gone back to the banks and we are waiting to see what happens to them. If they decide to fire sale them and cut their losses we might see some increase in new homes over the next couple of years. Lots here are pricey and some are hard and expensive to build on here, but these that went back to the bank have several easier to build on lots in them.

So we are holding our own and staying good and busy, but like everyone else, wondering where it goes from here.

Our SFR permits are down 50% from last year, remodeling is holding steady. No large projects on the horizon.....

'09 was slow, '10, was slower, '11 more slower. If not for zoning admin duties I would not have much to do.