• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How do you educate contractors in between code cycles?

every inspection is "training opportunity". if i look someone in the eye, explain whats missing, write it up, they correct and on the next job i find the same thing, they are just lazy or don't care. alot of subs don't carry code books. alot of contracors (here anyway) also don't carry code books. i don't understand it. we just keep hammering away at them. reinspection fees. "oh, you didn't complete the correction list, fail, call for re-inspection, and pay reinspection fee first, or we don't come out. the pocketbook, just like a traffic ticket or any other fine. that will eventualy get their attention,

codeworks said:
every inspection is "training opportunity". if i look someone in the eye, explain whats missing, write it up, they correct and on the next job i find the same thing, they are just lazy or don't care. alot of subs don't carry code books. alot of contracors (here anyway) also don't carry code books. i don't understand it. we just keep hammering away at them. reinspection fees. "oh, you didn't complete the correction list, fail, call for re-inspection, and pay reinspection fee first, or we don't come out. the pocketbook, just like a traffic ticket or any other fine. that will eventualy get their attention,
That is one way to do it, and that is usually our last resort we save for repeat offenders.

I wish we had reinspection fees....the only thing I get, is frustrated......not enough continuing ed for anyone around here, I try to teach on plan review and in the field as needed....I have to give people "do-overs" way too much for my liking....