• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How do you review exterior mini-storage units?

phillier937

SAWHORSE
Are these multiple S-1 buildings on the same lot under 503.1.2?

If so, do you do each one as a separate permit?

my take = S-1 is correct, then look at the max size for each allowed, then the separation requirement, if they don't meet the separation requirement, then go to 503.1.2.

You can permit as many buildings as you want on one permit. But if they want to start using some before all are finished you can have as many permits as you want so you can C. O. the ones that are finished.

If they will allow upholstered furniture or mattresses in the buildings over 2,500 sq ft sprinklers will be required. IBC 903.2.9(5)

How do you all review the roll up door hardware? I am requesting that the door be openable from the inside at all times, but I am getting lots of pushback and when I search online, it looks like all storage units are made for padlocks on the outside and cannot be opened from the inside. The self storage area is typically 10'x20' and I am in Ohio using the 2015 IBC. Why do we require that walk in coolers always be openable from the inside but not self-storage units?

1010.1.2 Door swing.
Egress doors shall be of the pivoted or side-hinged swinging type.

Exceptions:

1. Private garages, office areas, factory and storage areas with an occupant load of 10 or less.

Employees have been locked in walk in coolers accidently and on purpose by bad people and died from exposure.

Why do we require that walk in coolers always be openable from the inside but not self-storage units?
Possibly because some walk in cooler doors are spring loaded to stay closed, and the doors latch when closed. Storage unit doors have to be manually closed and intentionally locked. And not many storage units are refrigerated.

By practice, you enter a cooler/freezer and shut the door to keep it cold. Plus in a kitchen, you have multiple people moving around and completing different tasks. By comparison, a storage unit is typically only used by one person or a group working cooperatively.

Simple reality - injuries and deaths have occurred in coolers/freezers enough to warrant the code requirement, whereas the same has not occurred for storage units.

You can permit as many buildings as you want on one permit. But if they want to start using some before all are finished you can have as many permits as you want so you can C. O. the ones that are finished.

If they will allow upholstered furniture or mattresses in the buildings over 2,500 sq ft sprinklers will be required. IBC 903.2.9(5)
I understand they are building a STRUCTURE But, no one is occupying the interior space, So where is the risk to Public Safety?

Sounds like a bunch of yard storage rooms, and those could be "Man Caves" although the travel distance seems to be pretty low

You can permit as many buildings as you want on one permit. But if they want to start using some before all are finished you can have as many permits as you want so you can C. O. the ones that are finished storage units Winston salem.

Hey, I'm on the hunt for reliable storage units in Edmonton. Moving to a smaller place and need some extra space to store my belongings. Any recommendations or personal experiences with storage facilities in the area? I'm looking for affordability, security, and convenient access. Clean and well-maintained units are a must. If you've had positive interactions with any storage providers here, please let me know. Also, if there are any places to avoid, your insights would be greatly appreciated. P.S: Will delete the post, if it's off topic or doesn't sounds well.