• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How long to do an inspection

jwelectric

Silver Member
30 inspections a day how many can do this? Not too far down this page someone made the remark about doing 15 to 30 a day.

If it takes 10 minutes to travel from one inspection to the other this would equal 300 minutes or 5 hours behind the wheel.

With only 3 hours to do the inspections this would equal 180 total minutes doing the inspection or about 6 minutes per inspection. Is this what is called the good ole boy inspection? If I like you, you pass but if I don’t then you don’t.

I have said many times that doing a spec house should take at least 30 minutes on both rough and final. Anything less is not doing justice to your profession. Should it be a commercial or industrial job it should take even longer.

Then we have the report to write up. Is it because of the lack of time that some inspectors just jot down something that looks like a chicken walked across an ink pad and then the report?

We seem to have several inspectors on this site so please elaborate on your average day doing inspections. If you are multi-trade elaborate on how you go about doing the inspection such as do you walk through once or once for every trade.

We require all 1 & 2 Family rough-ins be scheduled at the same time for each location. The framing, M E P & gas hence 5 inspections are done at one stop.

On commercial jobs the Fire Marshal helps with the sprinkler systems; if there are none then we do the alarms.

An inspector thus on average can handle a maximum 10 stops of up to 50 inspections a day. On multi-story commercial an inspection for a floor would be allotted an hour for each trade.

Look at the plans first; inspection is over if they are not on the premises. I like to make a quick walk thru and see if anything jumps out, depending on the type of building, grocery store, mixed use, offices I might walk for each trade or for an example an apartment look at all of them in a single sweep because of the repetition.

Usually the contractor or super on site to explain the violations; otherwise we will call, email or send the code sections when we enter the inspections into the computer at the office.

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never done more than 12 stops in one day. Some stops were 1 inspection, some were 4. Some took 1 hr and 15 minutes, others 10 minutes.

Re: How long to do an inspection

I know a few inspectors that do 20+ inspections a day. They are worthless and have many E&O claims against them.

To do a framing, plumbing, mechanical and gas line inspection for me this is my last time to look at the SFR before it is coved by insulation I would be hard press to do this in less than an hour.

Unfortunately I average about 25 inspections per day with anywhere from 10-20 stops. We just do not have the staff right now to handle the load. With about 6 1/2 hours in the field it is easy math to see that the quality of the inspections Is lacking. I do the best that I can to hit the big life safety stuff and keep moving. We have also been tasked with E & S inspections as well as some of the administrative work like permits that are about to expire. I always stay late to catch up on phone calls and other office work. Job security is good at least!

If the inspection is trade specific and looking at only one, maybe two trades, you should be able to complete a fairly comprehensive rough-in or final in not more than 20 minutes. If you are doing multiple inspections--or all--as a combination inspector(Jack-of-all-trades, master of none), you are probably missing more than you are catching anyway so doesn't pay to spend more than 20 minutes.

I had an electrical inspector spend 3 hours on my final. I was not there but it appears he opened up every box, etc. He did not last long as he continually turned me down for using #6 nm cable to a sub panel and using a 60 amp breaker. He could not get it thru his skull that it was compliant if the load was 55 amps or less. Did the same weeks later with a #4 thhn in conduit on a 90 amp breaker

Daddy-0- said:
Unfortunately I average about 25 inspections per day with anywhere from 10-20 stops. We just do not have the staff right now to handle the load. With about 6 1/2 hours in the field it is easy math to see that the quality of the inspections Is lacking. I do the best that I can to hit the big life safety stuff and keep moving. We have also been tasked with E & S inspections as well as some of the administrative work like permits that are about to expire. I always stay late to catch up on phone calls and other office work. Job security is good at least!
If your department is issuing that many permits resulting in 25 inspections per day, there should be enough funds to provide adequate personnel. At what point do you get honest with your employer and tell them that the quantity of inspections is causing a quality issue? I commend you for being honest with us but in a way, you are enabling the decision makers above you by doing that many inspections. Know when to say no. You must feel helpless and I feel sorry for you. No one likes to trade quality.

incognito said:
If the inspection is trade specific and looking at only one, maybe two trades, you should be able to complete a fairly comprehensive rough-in or final in not more than 20 minutes. If you are doing multiple inspections--or all--as a combination inspector(Jack-of-all-trades, master of none), you are probably missing more than you are catching anyway so doesn't pay to spend more than 20 minutes.
Every inspection is different and will take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours. A rough electrical for a bathroom remodel may take 5 minutes, whereas a plumbing rough for the 4th floor of a newly constructed may take 45 minutes. We only go at the pace that allows us to complete a proper inspection.

I take great offense to your comment about combination inspectors and do not agree with you. We have different inspectors with multiple disciplines that are extremely competent and masterful in 3 or more trades/disciplines, especially residential work. Please don't generalize with statements like that based on your experiences.

Dennis said:
I had an electrical inspector spend 3 hours on my final. I was not there but it appears he opened up every box, etc. He did not last long as he continually turned me down for using #6 nm cable to a sub panel and using a 60 amp breaker. He could not get it thru his skull that it was compliant if the load was 55 amps or less. Did the same weeks later with a #4 thhn in conduit on a 90 amp breaker
it may help if you explain how those situations were compliant. I think it will make for good conversation.

I agree with Jar!

30 a day is a real push! If you are in a larger development with multiple inspections then ok. Now I work more hours then most but I try to figure 30minutes per inspection. That would include travel time. Most often 7 hrs in the field. So 14 works very easy. The average is about 16.

Just did an inspection and fire drill on a rather large health care unit. On that day I was in that complex 4 hrs. only did 2 other inspection and had to return to the original HCF the next day. If you are on a project to long you become over stimulated and begin to miss things.

incognito said:
Trade specific inspectors aren't the answer either --- What good is it for the Mechanical Inspector to require fire blocking on the top plate of a wall when the Plumbing inspector was letting the plumber saw cut through the top plate. All this within four feet of each other.......

Then it becomes an issue of what inspection trumps the other - R/I used to require sign off by M,E,P before a building rough in could occur.

Builder Bob said:
Trade specific inspectors aren't the answer either --- What good is it for the Mechanical Inspector to require fire blocking on the top plate of a wall when the Plumbing inspector was letting the plumber saw cut through the top plate. All this within four feet of each other.......Then it becomes an issue of what inspection trumps the other - R/I used to require sign off by M,E,P before a building rough in could occur.
I think this is where most code officials lose site of the scope of their work. It is neither the mechanical, plumbing, nor electrical inspector’s job to be looking at draft stopping when doing their inspection. This falls under the building codes and should be called out by the building inspector. As an electrical contractor I totally disregard any comment from the electrical inspector about draft stop as they can’t quote a NEC violation.

Fire stop is a different story. 300.21 addresses fire stop for the electrical code and should be called out by the electrical inspector even if right beside the electrical is plumbing that is not fire stopped. The plumbing falls under another inspection.

The most I have ever done was 19 inspections in one day. We are currently a department of two and the other inspector was out for the day. Three inspections were failed as soon as I got out of the truck for not being ready to request an inspection. The other 16 Inspections were between 15 minutes for a pre-footing to an hour for a final inspection. That was a 12 hour day with no break for lunch. We do really try to accommodate contractors in our area to encourage them calling for inspections.

jar546 said:
it may help if you explain how those situations were compliant. I think it will make for good conversation.
6/3 nm cable is rated at 60C. From the table you see that #6 copper at 60C is rated 55 amps. However if the calculated load is 55 amps or less then art. 240.4(B) allows us to use the next highest standard size breaker if the circuit is 800 amps or less. These standard size breakers are listed in 240.6(A). 55 amps is not a standard size so we can use 60 amps.

240.4(B) Overcurrent Devices Rated 800 Amperes or Less.The next higher standard overcurrent device rating (above the ampacity of the conductors being protected) shall be permitted to be used, provided all of the following conditions

are met:

(1) The conductors being protected are not part of a branch circuit supplying more than one receptacle for cord -and-plug-connected portable loads.

(2) The ampacity of the conductors does not correspond with the standard ampere rating of a fuse or a circuit breaker without overload trip adjustments above its rating

(but that shall be permitted to have other trip or rating adjustments).

(3) The next higher standard rating selected does not exceed 800 amperes.
240.6 Standard Ampere Ratings.(A) Fuses and Fixed-Trip Circuit Breakers. The standard

ampere ratings for fuses and inverse time circuit

breakers shall be considered 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000, 1200, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000, and 6000 amperes. Additional standard ampere ratings for fuses shall be 1, 3, 6, 10, and 601. The use of fuses and inverse time circuit breakers with

nonstandard ampere ratings shall be permitted.

I have multiple licenses and I would say I do 12 to 14 inspections a day. This usually works out but if the inspections are large and need more time most the guys I work with are multiple licensed and will take some of my inspections.

The most inspections I ever did in a day was 46. 45 of these were services in three buildings 15 units a building with internal walls only framed and not covered. I was able to walk straight through. Here the state can investigate you if they think you are doing to many inspections in a day. All 46 inspections failed that day so I can show them that I did look.

How long to do an inspection

Thank you Dennis. I felt it was important to have everyone understand why. Many forget about the ability to upsize to the next breaker under the correct conditions. In our area, the local supply houses were using the 75 deg column for NM cable and I had to correct them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dennis knows that I am very deeply involved with the NC IAEI and we get to see each other at least once a year at one of these meetings usually in Raleigh at the first of April.

I am also deeply involved with the NC DOI who is responsible for the certification process of inspectors in NC. I sit on many different committees and boards with these two. I am certified to teach the mandated courses for electrical inspectors in NC and have been doing so for 12 years.

Saying all this I talk with many inspectors throughout our state just about every day of the week. I have learned much from them about the process they go through during an inspection. Some will inspect according to the permit holder while others never look at the name until after the inspection is over.

Some are multi-trade inspectors and some are trade specific. For the most part those who hold multi-trade certificates say that they do one inspection at a time. They say it keeps things from becoming bunched up in their minds. In NC the inspector is required to quote the section of the code that is in violation instead of just saying fix this or fix that.

Over the past 12 years those inspectors who repeatedly did 30 inspections a day ended up making a trip to Raleigh to talk with the “Q” Board about the type of inspections they were doing. Some came back home to visit the unemployment office instead of returning to work. I also know of inspectors that while doing their inspection would stop after several violations and return for the reinspection and write up several other violations that lost their jobs also.

It is possible to do 30 or more inspections a day if you are doing remodel, change outs or saw services all located in one stop but to work in the county and visit 30 different stops no inspections are being done at all, just a walk through and a sign off.

It is my personal opinion that someone who just walks by is just looking for a payday and do not take their profession or oath to heart. It is this type of inspection that is bringing the trade to nothing short of a joke not only in the eyes of the public but also the commissioners and council members which has a very strong hold over most inspection departments.

When I saw this I wondered who the Hell is this guy to say such a thing as this.

jwelectric said:
As an electrical inspector I hang my head in shame. It hurts my heart deeply that there are people out there that have the public’s safety in their hands that has no clue of what they are doing. They think that if they can do 30 inspections a day they have accomplished something special when the truth of the matter is, if they do only one inspection correctly then they have accomplished something.

As a contractor I say the same thing I have been saying for 45 years. Inspectors are the biggest joke that has ever been pulled on the public. It would be my guess that less than 10% of the inspectors out there today are qualified to do what they get paid for.
Thanks for clearing that up.

jwelectric said:
Dennis knows that I am very deeply involved with the NC IAEI and we get to see each other at least once a year at one of these meetings usually in Raleigh at the first of April. I am also deeply involved with the NC DOI who is responsible for the certification process of inspectors in NC. I sit on many different committees and boards with these two. I am certified to teach the mandated courses for electrical inspectors in NC and have been doing so for 12 years.
I take great offense to your comment about inspectors and do not agree with you. Please don't generalize with statements like that based on your experiences.

Now where have I heard that before?

Shirley it wasn't me as evidenced by the word "please".

I must have plagiarized this (and no fatboy, plagiarized is not what you are thinking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all,

I probably spend anywhere from 90 seconds to 90 minutes on inspections. I rarely have more than 8 per day which helps allot time appropriately. But I have worked in situations where we had so many that we couldn't possibly do a reasonable job (30-40 a day). Glad I don't work there anymore.

BS

"jwelectric" asked:

Is this site a joke or something?
People who live or work in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks, ..verbal or otherwise.

This forum may not be for everyone!

Here I go playing the devils advocate again.

It isn't all about finding each and every deficiency, it is also (or maybe MORE) about educating the contractor who is inadvertently and regularly doing something in a non-compliant manner. If I can instruct that contractor to an understanding of the issue so that he remembers the lesson forever, but I have used up my time and "miss" some other deficiencies in that appointment which may have been small oversights in otherwise ok work, I think I have done my job IN THE BIG PICTURE.

So, I would say to step back and understand that there are many different scenarios in which we work and to stop pidgin-holing us all into your reality.