• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How Many Floodplain Managers

So who checks for BFE on permits in the floodplain?
Who handles and verified significant improvements on renovations in the floodplain?

I assume your public works department is privy to the plan review process?

We make every attempt to identify anything that is proposed in the floodway/plain, and yes, PW has to issue a FP permit (if alllowed), and then require a certification from an engineer that the completed structure is above the BFE.

Our Flood Plain Manager is our Zoning Administrator so he checks it when he reviews plans for zoning compliance. .

What is the method used when there is a major renovation of a house that just happens to be below BFE and the renovations are considered substantial improvements based on the cost of construction and the assessed value of the house/structure? Is there a failsafe for that?

There is variance procedure for lots less than 1/2 acre and permit process as outlined by the state that we adopted locally. I can tell you the procedure and process here in Montana is a lot more restrictive than what I dealt with when I oversaw the BFE procedures when I was in a rural county in South Florida in the early 90's. I have seen plans denied, buildings relocated and raised, along with a variance being granted because raising a building would have negatively effected the surrounding buildings/properties.