1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Floodplain Managers

Discussion in 'NFIP and FEMA' started by jar546, Nov 2, 2019.

1. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

How many of you are designated the floodplain manager for your municipality?

2. jwilly3879

jwilly3879 Sawhorse

I am but with absolutely no training. Fortunately most of the floodplain is wilderness.

jar546 likes this.
  3. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Have you ever considered taking a 3 day FEMA class and getting certified?

4. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Ours is managed by Public Works.

5. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

So who checks for BFE on permits in the floodplain?
    Who handles and verified significant improvements on renovations in the floodplain?

I assume your public works department is privy to the plan review process?

6. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

We make every attempt to identify anything that is proposed in the floodway/plain, and yes, PW has to issue a FP permit (if alllowed), and then require a certification from an engineer that the completed structure is above the BFE.

jar546 likes this.
  7. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Our Flood Plain Manager is our Zoning Administrator so he checks it when he reviews plans for zoning compliance. .

8. VillageInspector

VillageInspector Sawhorse

I am the flood plain manager for my community

jar546 likes this.
  9. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

What is the method used when there is a major renovation of a house that just happens to be below BFE and the renovations are considered substantial improvements based on the cost of construction and the assessed value of the house/structure? Is there a failsafe for that?

10. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

There is variance procedure for lots less than 1/2 acre and permit process as outlined by the state that we adopted locally. I can tell you the procedure and process here in Montana is a lot more restrictive than what I dealt with when I oversaw the BFE procedures when I was in a rural county in South Florida in the early 90's. I have seen plans denied, buildings relocated and raised, along with a variance being granted because raising a building would have negatively effected the surrounding buildings/properties.