• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How to become an electrician or any contractor in Pennsylvania

RJJ said:
only if the state has a complaint and the AG decides to pursue it. So the answer is just SOS!
True, again, another reactive law. They did not tie in the HIC registration act with the UCC. Therefore:

1) We have no legal authority to deny a permit based on the fact they are not registered with the state as a contractor.

2) We have no legal authority to enforce contractor registration.

3) The only 2 entities that can enforce this (reactively after a complaint) are the county DA's office or the State AG office. No one else has any legal authority and they have much bigger fish to fry.

4) We can ask if they are registered and recommend that they do get registered but that is about it.

Like I said, this is another horrible piece of legislation put in place by the current governor before he became governor (he was AG at the time). It was a "feel good" law and he had posters of himself all over the state touting this new law. This was essentially free campaigning as he knew he was running for governor. Each municipality received several posters about the law to put up. All had his name and large picture of him. You just gotta love when they take advantage of situations like that even for a piece of $hit, useless law.

jar546 said:
There will be no exaggeration here, simply the truth:I really hope that this help anyone who wakes up in the morning and decides they want to be a contractor in Pennsylvania. Good Luck!!
How cool is that!!! So on the next recession, I know EXACTLY where to go and what to do when I get laid off. Happy to get that load off my mind.

mmmarvel said:
How cool is that!!! So on the next recession, I know EXACTLY where to go and what to do when I get laid off. Happy to get that load off my mind.
Yes, that is the great thing about PA. You can be any contractor you want in 99% of the state and experience is not required whatsoever.

This is why we have uneducated, ill-informed, moronic rip off artists that earn a really good living. (was I just talking about our legislators?)

Wow, this is very scary.

Where I am you need to be a licensed electrician to pull a permit. Becoming licensed includes both formal education and an apprenticeship program. Same thing for plumbers. HVAC installers are pushing or similar requirements.

tmurray said:
Wow, this is very scary. Where I am you need to be a licensed electrician to pull a permit. Becoming licensed includes both formal education and an apprenticeship program. Same thing for plumbers. HVAC installers are pushing or similar requirements.
Yeah, but you're in Canada so it doesn't count - LOL. It's humor, laugh.

In CO, we regulate plumbers and electricians, apprentiseship, journeyman, masters, renewal every three years. We have a very intensive local HVAC testing requirement, but as far as general contractor, no state or local requirement, I used to joke that my 15 year old son could walk in and pull a permit for a 5 story buidling...........go figure...........