• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

how to calculate occupancy of a courtyard?

ccollings

I'm working on a existing school that has a large courtyard and i have no idea how to calculate occupancy to figure out what kind of egress is needed.
the courtyard is not usually used for any function. i can imagine this being used for graduation ceremonies.

1711033371851.png

Is something changing in the existing building project that changes the use/classification, OL, or exiting? Generally 2018 IBC 1004.7 requires the OL to be based on the anticipated use. If assembly is anticipated, then go with that. If it isn't find out what the intended use is. I have had situations where the actual use didn't turn out to be the anticipated use, and it left the FD responsible for figuring out how to work it out as a special use. If you can base MOE on the worst case you will be doing everyone a favor.

the courtyard currently is not fully enclosed but will be as part of the new project. Part of my problem is that i just don't know what the anticipated use is so it's unclear to me how to calculate. I can say that in studying the building on google earth, I noticed that the wall of the center patio area has been painted white which reminds me of a movie screen so i think they may have movie nights in the courtyard. from a rough calculation the courtyard is approx. 32,000 s.f. (10000 on upper patio are and 22000 on lower grass area.)

1711036887793.png

What is your role in the project? The owner or DP needs to propose a use. What will the access to and from the space be (I see what looks like a single stair in the first picture)? Based on the size, not sure how the lower space worked for movies or graduations unless there are more ways out than I can see, and they were sized correctly all the way out. The upper space, if I understand what that is, looks like it would have no assembly use, rather it would be circulation and exit access. What is the small square space in the upper left of the area that looks like it has a defined use?

See 2021 IBC Section, 1004.7 Out door areas

Bathrooms need to be considered I would think?

ADA egress travel if not already in place?

Anticipated use will need to be explored