• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I Was Impressed

Mule

Platinum Member
Of course I'm easily impressed when I see so much crappy work that when I actually see a good job it shocks me!!The plumber actually put in the sleeves prior to the foundation being roughed. The concrete crew was there and I pointed out the rocks were a little too close for comfort to the plumbing.

View attachment 1324

View attachment 1325

View attachment 1324

View attachment 1325

/monthly_2010_07/572953db562dd_Framing009.jpg.044e3ac81d5549799e929767ac49eb32.jpg

/monthly_2010_07/572953db58d16_Framing011.jpg.042b9e1a39876b9fcd6d47f6129b7064.jpg

It is sad that we are now impressed by things that were once considered standard practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mule,

That's great. I've had 5 electric finals in nine days; and everyone of them had an outlet box somewhere, with electric wires hanging out of the box; hot! I'd list the excuses; but, it would just **** me off. :(

Not expecting it to get much better; but am hopeful.

Uncle Bob

I went to an underslab plumbing inspection yesterday afternoon. None of the risers were more than 30"-36" above the gravel (it's a one story), and none were capped! I looked down the pipe and saw water drops on the sidewalls. I mentioned it would be hard to get a 10' column on a 3' pipe, and asked why they hadn't left the water in the pipes. The response was that they did run the water, and that it all came of of the floor drain (yes, it was connected to the sanitary!). The 'plumber' then asked if I wanted to see it.

I've never had to explain that the purpose of the test is NOT to ensure that the water will actually flow through the pipes before. The guy couldn't figure out how the water was supposed to stay in the pipes if he extended one up to 10'!

I don't know that the code specifically says the inspector needs to see the head test.. only that it needs to be done and witnessed.

The plumber is liable in any event

Yeah, we don't actually have to witness the test.......we provide a test card that the plumbers sign, that they DID perform the test, and are taking responsibility for the sytem. Although, a few of them would rather WE witness the test.

On this one, I'm glad I did go out... imagine if I hadn't? That the plumber is liable is all well and good, but doesn't really help if there is a defect. It just means the owner won't be paying out of pocket when his new concrete floor gets torn up to repair the defect... :(

fatboy said:
Yeah, we don't actually have to witness the test.......we provide a test card that the plumbers sign, that they DID perform the test, and are taking responsibility for the sytem. Although, a few of them would rather WE witness the test.
peach said:
I don't know that the code specifically says the inspector needs to see the head test.. only that it needs to be done and witnessed.The plumber is liable in any event
do you inspect the plumbing for proper mechanical execution and blow off the testing?

My experience has seen plumbers generally being more to code than electricians or HVAC.

HVAC retrofit has been, in my experience, especially sloppy.

Always 10' test, always witnessed by inspector........ but we let the framers sign off on their own framing..........NOT!

Inspect or not to inspect. Witness or not to witness. I do both QA and QC. Sometimes when I am doing QC I allow others to verify items and submit reports that I then review and in most cases approved. My current project has been ongoing for over two years, is six stories and is over 65,000 sf R-2. 2A and designed as a high rise. There has been over 800 changes to the drawing.

One will find out that it is not the big things on projects that create problems but the accumulation of small items that create the issues.