• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2009 to IBC 2012 question?

ggmarch

Hi, here in PA we're still on IBC 2009 though i'm working on a Prototype that will be built

all over the country and most definitely in places using IBC 2012. I won't be the architect of record

on these projects but i have a question. 2009 IBC section 303.1.1 allows me to use the "B" occupancy

in place of the "A" since the building size is shy of 1500 gross sf and way shy of the 50 occupants required

for the "A" classification.

so, my question is... does 2012 IBC maintain this exception. i don't own the code yet(not till they force me)

thanks in advance

g

Not sure where you got the 1,500 sf number from, but the design occupant load of less than 50 is still there in the 2012 (which is viewable on-line, though the 2015 is not up yet).

An area will tables and chairs the OL is catapulted at 15 per sq ft that equates to 750 sq ft so be careful with the design if you are trying to have a "B" occupancy. You can use fixed seating and have a larger floor area but remember you will add all of the areas together to get the OL and classify the use properly. I had a McDonalds that the DP claimed the OL was 49 because of the fixed seating. By the time we added the kitchen area and the Que area where you order it pushed it to 97. Almost need sprinklers.

303.1.1 Small buildings and tenant spaces.

A building or tenant space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons shall be classified as a Group B occupancy.

ggmarch said:
Hi, here in PA we're still on IBC 2009 though i'm working on a Prototype that will be builtall over the country and most definitely in places using IBC 2012. I won't be the architect of record

on these projects but i have a question. 2009 IBC section 303.1.1 allows me to use the "B" occupancy

in place of the "A" since the building size is shy of 1500 gross sf and way shy of the 50 occupants required

so, my question is... does 2012 IBC maintain this exception. i don't own the code yet(not till they force me)

thanks in advance

g
2012 access

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2012/index.htm

ggmarch said:
Hi, here in PA we're still on IBC 2009 though i'm working on a Prototype that will be builtall over the country and most definitely in places using IBC 2012. I won't be the architect of record

thanks in advance

g
How many sq ft is actual dining???

Thanks for the link.....looks like i'm good.

JBI - the "shy of 1500" is the approx. size of the project, not code based...an ice cream shop w/ 4 tables and 8 stools

CDA - "dining area" 250 sf net ...most of the area is prep area a back-bar,huge walk-in cooler, mechanical, restroom etc.

with the B occupancy and gross square footage under 1500, i'm calculating worst case scenario of 15 occupants

without taking to consideration other less dense occupancy areas. many of the Potential sites will be in shopping malls

and have restroom facilities already provided, the client wanted one as a courtesy to the workers and customers

but they really are tapped out for space if they need a second restroom. if they have to, they will, i'm just giving them

the basic minimums. many sites are 20 x 60 rental units....that one is a real 50lbs of crap packed in a 5 lb bag!

thanks

again

g

A normal baskin Robbins

Should be ok as far as calling it a B

Cannot speak to restrooms and would not know if maybe a certain ahj is more restrictive

yeah....we've .....well i should say they've built 4 of these already and the most recent one in Virginia has a OB telling the local architect

that it's an A occupancy and they want a second restroom. I told my client how I achieved the B occupancy and

occupant count for the prototype. It got me thinking maybe the 303.1.1 exception was not in the 2012 code(i can look that up)

or potentially was some other requirement that is local to the project (something i can't really look up or be expected to know).

Thanks again

ggmarch said:
yeah....we've .....well i should say they've built 4 of these already and the most recent one in Virginia has a OB telling the local architectthat it's an A occupancy and they want a second restroom. I told my client how I achieved the B occupancy and

occupant count for the prototype. It got me thinking maybe the 303.1.1 exception was not in the 2012 code(i can look that up)

or potentially was some other requirement that is local to the project (something i can't really look up or be expected to know).

Thanks again
"""something i can't really look up or be expected to know """"""

With the wide wide world of Al Gore Internet , some cities have their codes on the web.

If not than old style it call and ask

FWIW the 2012 Virginia Construction Code deleted Chapter 34 to use the Virginia Rehabilitation Code (IEBC with a few kinks). All said if you have one restroom it's a B occupancy. Same if under 50