• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2018 1027.5 Exterior Exit Stairway Location

scribed

Hi, I have an R-2 occupancy, Type VB construction, that is 2 stories. The second story is served by one open/exposed exterior exit stairway at a landing serving 4 individual dwelling units. The exterior stairway runs along the exterior wall of one of the units toward an open yard, and I understand that per 1023.2 that portion of the wall against the stair is rated, and per 1023.7 the portion of the wall and any openings within 10' are also rated.

My question comes about because of the configuration of the building. 1027.5 indicates that there shall be a minimum fire separation distance of 10 feet measured at right angles from the exterior edge of the stairway to "other portions of the building." The stair extends from a three-sided alcove formed by the building's exterior wall, and the wall opposite that is parallel to the stair is only about 4'-6" from the stair's edge.

If I have a problem due to this distance, can I solve it by rating the wall opposite per Section 705, protecting it from fire from the inside and the outside? (705.5 on Exterior Wall Fire Resistance Ratings says that for a fire distance separation of less than or equal to 10 feet, rate wall for exposure from fire both sides.)

Thanks very much!

There is a better example somewhere

Attachments

• 5CFABDDF-E693-4F2E-B579-6634F249C7E2.png
    5CFABDDF-E693-4F2E-B579-6634F249C7E2.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi CDA -- thanks! I saw this example, and it applies to the wall that my stair runs against, but I'm wondering about another wall that's 4' - 6" away from the other side (exterior edge) of the stair. I'm thinking that I'm okay if I rate that other wall (and openings) per 705 for exterior walls within 10'-0" fire separation distance.

I'd like to attach a clip of the floor plan. But I'm an idiot and don't see the button to attach an image except through a link. Help?

Hi CDA -- thanks! I saw this example, and it applies to the wall that my stair runs against, but I'm wondering about another wall that's 4' - 6" away from the other side (exterior edge) of the stair. I'm thinking that I'm okay if I rate that other wall (and openings) per 705 for exterior walls within 10'-0" fire separation distance.

I'd like to attach a clip of the floor plan. But I'm an idiot and don't see the button to attach an image except through a link. Help?

Become a forum supporting Sawhorse, and you can direct load stuff

Only way without a link, me too not computer literate

We do not bill by the hour