• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC, definition of "space".

jim2

Per IBC Table 1006.2.1, is a "space" simply a "room" or can a "space" be a collection of rooms as in a tenant space? There is not a specific definition for "space" in the IBC.

Welcome...

If you are in a space, you know it!! Good answer??

"space" be a collection of rooms as in a tenant space"" Yes?

So what is your real question????????

If not defined in the IBC you should use the common definition from a dictionary. But it is still up to the AHJ's interpretation. If you do not agree with, you may need to appeal.

I believe a space can be just a part of a room or all of the room. When I read 1006.2 and table I'm not sure a space can be a collection of rooms. I envision a large permanent flea market, all in one room but divided into booths or seller's areas. Each of those spaces has to individually meet the requirements, as well as the room overall. NFPA glossary has 2 definitions, though particular to health care and accessibility.

From Webster:

2a: a limited extent in one, two, or three dimensions: distance, area, volume
b: an extent set apart or available: parking space, floor space
c: the distance from other people or things that a person needs in order to remain comfortable: invading my personal space

The first two might be applicable to your question, but I only shared because that last one made me chuckle.

To what end are you pursuing this Jim? IMO it can be a single space "room" or a collection or rooms such as a tenant space...Stories get picked up in 1006.3...

So what is a space per IECC?

C402.5.7 Vestibules. Building entrances shall be protected
with an enclosed vestibule, with all doors opening into and out
of the vestibule equipped with self-closing devices. Vestibules
shall be designed so that in passing through the vestibule
it is not necessary for the interior and exterior doors to
open at the same time. The installation of one or more
revolving doors in the building entrance shall not eliminate
the requirement that a vestibule be provided on any doors
adjacent to revolving doors.
Exceptions: Vestibules are not required for the following:
1. Buildings in Climate Zones 1 and 2.
2. Doors not intended to be used by the public,
such as doors to mechanical or electrical equipment
rooms, or intended solely for employee use.
3. Doors opening directly from a sleeping unit or
dwelling unit.
4. Doors that open directly from a space less than
3,000 square feet (298 m2) in area.

Chapter 2 Definitions
SPACE. A definable area, such as, a room, toilet room, hall, assembly area, entrance, storage room, alcove, courtyard, or lobby.

Merriam-Webster
space noun, often attributive
Definition of space
  1. a period of time also : its duration
  2. a limited extent in one, two, or three dimensions : DISTANCE, AREA, VOLUME
  3. an extent set apart or available: parking space, floor space
  4. the distance from other people or things that a person needs in order to remain comfortable invading my personal space
  5. one of the degrees between or above or below the lines of a musical staff
  6. a boundless three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur and have relative position and direction infinite space and time
  7. physical space independent of what occupies it— called also absolute space
  8. the region beyond the earth's atmosphere or beyond the solar system
  9. a blank area separating words or lines
  10. material used to produce such blank area especially : a piece of type less than one en in width
  11. a set of mathematical elements and especially of abstractions of all the points on a line, in a plane, or in physical space especially : a set of mathematical entities with a set of axioms of geometric character— compare METRIC SPACE, TOPOLOGICAL SPACE, VECTOR SPACE
  12. LINAGE
  13. broadcast time available especially to advertisers
  14. accommodations on a public vehicle
  15. the opportunity to assert or experience one's identity or needs freely
  16. an opportunity for privacy or time to oneself

A 300 ft. long by 10 ft. wide corridor without a vestibule might comply with the verbiage, but I don't think it meets the intent of this section.

He still hasn't indicated why he is asking for a definition.
If it is a leasing square footage issue, occupiable vs habitable "space" may be his issue.
As indicated by others, space is typically three dimensional with code limitations as to height, length and width depending on intended use.

Looking at the text of 1006.2, "Rooms, areas or spaces, including mezzanines, within a story or basement...." suggests to me for the tables purpose - when is one exit or exit access permitted - space is simply within a room that is somehow cordoned off. A jury box, a mezzanine, a platform in a lecture hall, a sunken lounge, an opera box on a theatre, separated exhibits within an exposition facility, etc. Not only does the dining "room" with sunken lounge and total occupant load of 100 have to have two exits or two exit access doorways, the sunken lounge "space" requires 2 if occupant load is over 49, or just 1 if under 50.

I believe a collection of rooms is already covered and need not ever be considered a '"space". Just do normal calculations for each room and downstream parts of the means of egress.

Where it's a flat floor room and everyone has access to all of the exit access doorways or exits, like a lot of buildings, a room is the space.