• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC announcement on new IECC process

CodeWarrior

Here is the ICC PR on the how the IECC will be written in the future. The ANSI process is fine. There are rules for balancing the committee membership, so it appears no one group, even government officials, can form a majority. If ICC still adheres to a 3 year cycle, that could keep the IECC committee very busy if the draft sent for public review garners alot of comments. Very possible, given the apparent dissapointment expressed by many on this change from a govermment concensus process.

The IECC and IRC Chapter 11 will still be on a 3 year cycle and coordinated with the rest of the I-Codes. The only thing that has changed is the development process.

Here is a commentary on the shift ICC made. I do recall ICC did not follow their own rules recently in referencing a new standard that had not been completed. Voters were asked to decide on something that had the potential to change -- it did by the way. We will see how the ICC handles the new development method for the IECC. I think a lot of people will be watching.