• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC B2

Todd Baker

Hi all! I’m new here and first want to thank you in advance.
I’ve been a soils/ ACI tech for 10 years along with ICC fireproofing and medical gas inspection certificate, batch plant, pull testing, torque testing. I’ve worked mainly on OSHPD and DSA projects throughout my career. I’m getting ready to study for the B2. I’ve heard from several others that I should get other Certs before I go for that. What is your thoughts? Thank you

Todd:

I can't help you but I'm sure others will, I do have a question for you based upon your stated qualifications:

I have noticed on some projects, mostly those being inspected by the DSA (schools, hospitals, government buildings) that inspectors are checking the temperatures of asphalt in kettles, when does this requirement kick in and who determines what the temperatures should be? What happens if the temperatures are too hot of too cold?

Todd:

I can't help you but I'm sure others will, I do have a question for you based upon your stated qualifications:

I have noticed on some projects, mostly those being inspected by the DSA (schools, hospitals, government buildings) that inspectors are checking the temperatures of asphalt in kettles, when does this requirement kick in and who determines what the temperatures should be? What happens if the temperatures are too hot of too cold?

Conarb,
Thanks for the reply. I personally have never seen the temps taken in kettles. Ive been asphalt testing for 10 years and have never done or seen it that way. That’s intriguing. But to answer your question this is the rule to follow.
When it arrives at the job site, asphalt is normally between 275 and 300 degrees Fahrenheit. For the initial rolling, the temperature of the mix needs to be between 220 and 290 degrees. If the mix temperature falls below approximately 185 degrees before the final compaction, it will be too stiff to compact properly. How long the contractor has to complete compaction depends on the thickness of the course; thinner layers will cool faster than thicker ones. However, the ambient temperature, wind speed and ground temperature also affect the rate at which the asphalt will cool of course.
Most applications require that the ambient temperature is at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit and rising while the asphalt is being installed and compacted. If the wind velocity is high, the asphalt will cool faster, so on extremely windy days, the ambient temperature may need to be above 50 degrees.
The ground temperature can be significantly lower than the ambient temperature, especially in the early morning following a cold night, use an infrared thermometer to measure the ground temperature, which needs to be at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit and rising throughout the process.
Hope this helps.

Todd:

Hi Conarb,
So I actually had to look up an asphalt kettle. I have not been exposed to those before. That being said, the same applies to what I wrote before.

Todd:

The applications I am asking about are roofing and waterproofing, it does not surprise me that you are not seeing kettles on jobs, the roofing industry is moving away from hot-mopped asphalt to cold "liquid-applied" elastomeric plastic applicators, CIM is one of them, Isn't everything in the code based upon asphalt rag felt based applications?

Todd:

The applications I am asking about are roofing and waterproofing, it does not surprise me that you are not seeing kettles on jobs, the roofing industry is moving away from hot-mopped asphalt to cold "liquid-applied" elastomeric plastic applicators, CIM is one of them, Isn't everything in the code based upon asphalt rag felt based applications?
conarb:

I unfortunately can’t answer that question. At this time I don’t deal with roofing. I’m sure someone on here will be able to answer that.

Back to the B2 question, great place to start. B1 is all residential and will not help that much in preparations for B2.

Seems to me with your list experience, B2 might be easier for you. look for some of the sample tests to see where you stand. Study the book and know where things are and learn the table of contents and index to find answers. The flash cards are handy as well. Also brush up on plan reading there are some questions that will require some print reading.