• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC/NFPA Certifications?

LGreene

Several of the professional organizations I belong to offer certifications that include coursework and an exam, and then provide a "credential". I find these credentials to be helpful in certain circumstances. For example, if I'm teaching a class for architects and they see "CCPR" after my name, they know that I'm a member of the Construction Specifications Institute and have successfully passed 2 levels of certification (you have to become a CDT before you can take the CCPR test).

I'm not on a quest to add more letters after my name - I already leave a lot of them off because they don't fit on my business card. But are there any NFPA or ICC courses that would be good for me to take, to try to expand my focus a little bit beyond the door and maybe establish to a code official that I have some level of code knowledge?

Not sure about obtaining the certs, but maybe attending some classes put on by different agencies.

Building code related, exiting related,

I started to get fire icc certs, and yes you need some knowledge, maybe a little more know where to look in the book to assure you have the correct answer. I only have fire inspector I, and decided not to get anymore.

You might look around your state to see if either the building or fire officials put on classes.

You might look at nicet, but I do not know if they have anything related to your area

The ICC and NFPA certs are very similar, depending upon which state you are in and what clientele you deal with, would depend upon which certification I was trying to obtain.... If you are dealing mainly with fire marshal's, then NFPA would be the route to take.

I have obtained certification from both entities after 25 years of code enforcement. it really doesn't matter as both are testing you on your ability to read the code book and find answers, NFPA tends to be more credible IMHO since you do have to perform practicals. ICC is a pass/fail test without any field work or other individual performing a sign off.

Both are reciprocal with each other if you jump through the hoops.

There is a vast difference between the ICC and NFPA certifications. The ICC has no, yes that's no educational component to their certification. NFPA's certifications meet a national standard 1031 and are the only ones that do. ICC touts that they are ProBoard but if you $$ enough you too can receive PB recognition. The IFC requires no experience or knowledge to enforce their fire code and anyone can be appointed including the PW Director to be the fire code official or deputy.

NFPA 1 requires anyone who enforces the code to be experienced and meet a national standard. I'm somewhat of an expert and they are clearly the more definitive and comprehensive credentials. One can challenge either but NFPA has the only educational component and that stands on its own merit.

Oh I'm certified all the way in both and won't renew the ICC because it's basically worthless in my profession, it was just nice to have to show I met their vague cash cow approach to offering a fire inspection certification copying NFPA like they do with way too much. Ooops I provided a bit more than 2 cents....sorry...been a long time since I visited last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi FMWB - I haven't "seen" you in a while! Is there an NFPA certification that would work for someone like me, who is not a code official and never will be, but would like to learn and demonstrate some level of ability with regard to codes?

Hello Lori! Yes, FMWB has been busy doing all sorts of code and political stuff and have not been able to devote much time to keeping up here. I can only check in from time to time now due to extracurricular activities.

I believe you would enjoy the FI-I level educational and training program and the practicum phase would allow you to go out with some of your FM friends and evaluate buildings and systems from a hands on approach. You will learn quite a bit about 101 and means of egress, fire protection and how the code works with the building code and state regulations. The program is a bit pricy but worth it compared to the lack of certification training from the other code organization. I am a bit biased though. I would recommend getting a hold of the certification department and seeing who offers the training in MA as a partnering agency.

Here are some details and information on the course and curriculum:

http://www.nfpa.org/training/certification-programs/certified-fire-inspector-i

You could always work your way through all of them to CFPS also ….just sayin :)

FM William Burns said:
I believe you would enjoy the FI-I level educational and training program and the practicum phase would allow you to go out with some of your FM friends and evaluate buildings and systems from a hands on approach.
That sounds like fun! Thanks for the info!