• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC Remembering the Station Nightclub Fire

mark handler

SAWHORSE
stationfire

Remembering the Station Nightclub Fire
The fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, a blaze at The Station nightclub in Rhode Island in 2003 claimed 100 lives. Horrific tragedies such as this prove what can go terribly wrong when exits are not abundant and easily accessible, when exit doors swing inward, or when automatic fire sprinklers aren’t present. Read more

Mark - thanks for sharing this. I don't want to "like" this post for obvious reasons, but I wanted to weigh in briefly. This event, more than anything else in my 25 years of code enforcement, has driven home to me how important what we do is. It's not easy to watch, but I typically have our new building inspectors watch the footage of this event. The fact that we have a video recording of what actually happened is HUGELY impactful. Such a terrible, sad, and avoidable event.