• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC Webinar to Explain Website/Communities of Interest

Re: ICC Webinar to Explain Website/Communities of Interest

Even if they gave you free ICC membership for posting on the "New Crap"; it's not user friendly.

In fact you couldn't have this thread on it.

Uncle Bob

I still pay my dues, the "discount" on the books I need to buy will cover it, and then some. But, that is the only place I have been going, the store. I haven't even tried the "COI" for at least three weeks or so, I tried a few times before, but it is just too frustrating. I might try to go there for a search of the old forum if I can't get what I want here.......but I doubt it.

Hasta la vista, baby.......

I agree with Fatboy... The Communities of Interest seems like a bad joke. Thus, I'm NOT interested in their webinars. I'm still a member, but who knows for how much longer. I can get the same (if not better) discount on code books thru WABO or one of the other ICC chapters, or even on Ebay... :roll:

Dominic and mr weiland (who I called 2 weeks ago and STILL have NOT gotton an answer) KMA

high desert,

thanks for the almost attempt to help me out with the note taking. send me your addy and i will send you something to ease your pain! i'm sorry if you suffered mental stress on my account.

the state of california requires all code enforcement people to be certified by a recognizable, reputable organization to the satisfaction of the ahj. i used to have 6 icbo certifications which covered all the bases. i now have 14 icc certs that do the same thing. their cash cow is alive and well despite their obvious shortcomings. i would like to see ub ,con arb,pack,cda ,rjj,or others start their own certification program that i could recognize and send my $ to :mrgreen:

pwood said:
the state of california requires all code enforcement people to be certified by a recognizable, reputable organization to the satisfaction of the ahj. i used to have 6 icbo certifications which covered all the bases. i now have 14 icc certs that do the same thing. their cash cow is alive and well despite their obvious shortcomings. i would like to see ub ,con arb,pack,cda ,rjj,or others start their own certification program that i could recognize and send my $ to :mrgreen:
pwood -

Exactly the reason we renewed our membership here.

Sue, freezing in sunny CA :cool:

cda -

No

No

No

No

No

And, uhhhhhhhhhhhh, NO! But nice try! :lol:

I go to ICC once every couple of weeks just to remind myself how lucky I was to have been an active member and board participant when ICC bailed on us... and Jeff bailed us out. :D :mrgreen:

If they need to 'teach' us how to use their new site and board, they must've either:

1) tried really hard to find the worst possible software :roll: or

2) just got dumb lucky to have found the worst possible software :shock: or

3) didn't want us around anyway... :?

Even on their old board you couldn't really speak freely. For example, if I had posted "Screw Em!" on the ICC board, I'd have been admonished or banned from the site.

Here however, if I post "Screw Em!", I'm applauded. So here I stay, and as for the 'webinar' tomorrow...

Screw Em! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm confused (no cracks!).

I didn't know you had to be an ICC member to renew your certifications. I've never been asked for my membership number when I sent my re-certification application.

I don't think anyone would recognize a Certification issued by "Our Gang". :mrgreen:

Uncle Bob

UB: You are correct! No one at this time would recognize this BB or us as a group for certification.

I would not even consider myself in that group referenced earlier in the post as one to certify others. That must have been a type O!

For now ICC is the cash cow! It is recognized due to politics and money and they control the game.

However, we have discussed from the beginning forming an organization to manage this board. When the time comes to act on that; one objective could be for training and certification through this site once organized. Lets face facts, that any such movement is ok, but it would cost money to build and operate such an organization. Thus, we have the trap of operating a business, even though not for profit. These are big steps and big shoes.

I am in favor of all of the above and am willing to commit finical support to that cause. Since we are only a few weeks old as a BB, I suggest we move slowly on those issues. We Need to talk about and kick ideas around. At some point this site will be very large and as the players joint in time they will want more services perhaps in the form of certs or just training.

We have a great base of well train and experienced Code,fire, DP & consultants and a wealth of knowledge among or members. Just some things to think on!

ub,

i am not an icc fan or member but i have to renew my certs to keep the job and at this time they are the only game in town. i smell a monopoly here! i was kidding,cracking about yous guys certifying me but i would rather see you get the $ than them, but that's business and politics. you guys could use an all expenses paid junket to cabo to discuss codes and stuff i'm sure? fish on! :mrgreen:

Hope someone posts the cliffs notes for me. :roll:

OK, I missed D. Sims this afternoon. Did a 4 hour inspection on a new tech center. So what happened??? Please fill me in. jp

I want details also.

Went on an interview and was driving back.

rktect 1 said:
Hope someone posts the cliffs notes for me. :roll:
Hey, how about the petroglyphs at Lava Beds National Monument? They're notes written on cliffs. :mrgreen:

Sue, who missed the webinar..........awwwwwwwwww :D

I'm wondering if it took place?

Uncle Bob

The ICC tests for certification are available to both members and non-members. Anyone can start an association/governing body for certification then require then recognize the ICC test or any other acceptable test for issuing a certification. After that, you can have your own CEU program to maintain certification, whether or not they maintain their ICC cert. The issue is being recognized by others as a "certifying agency". This happens all of the time with many organizations that do not own or perform the testing but have CEU and other requirements for certification.

Here is an example:

The "ABC" Association provides certification for a plumbing inspector.

In order to get certification you need:

1)Proof of passing an ICC test or equivalent such as a state given test.

In order to maintain certification with ABC Company, you need to:

1)Maintain CEU's per the certification manual

Other requirements may be put into place to beef up the certification process to give it more clout.

Any of this is do-able. It happens all of the time.

Most likely it did! If it was anything like the fire side chat in Baltimore two phone calls came in! Wow!

JP raise a question from the floor. I sat in total amazement of the Blovation taking place in the room.

I believe if I have raise a question, the rant would of have been cut from the air ways! So I sat quitely and in disbelief! :roll:

WOW, nobody tuned it? I was stuck at home with three cars that refused to start. Sub-zero temps, that lasted for most of the day, kept me from my 30 mile commute to work. And I'm saddled with dial-up access for the net at home.

Oh. OK, I wouldn't have if I could have, as my friend JP says, "SCREW'EM"!!!!!!

I watched the web cast last night. There really isn’t much to report.

They started a little late and seemed to have some technical difficulties.

After some introductions Dominic spoke and discussed some of the changes that were made to help there members have a better experience with there website. “Members” was emphasized several times. Them someone else took over and took us through some screen shots of the new website and some explanation of the communities of interest.

Not being a member I don’t know if this was helpful because I have never seen these screens. In the end there was no participation from the audience, No phone calls and then Dominic did come on for the conclusion and gave his e mail address and asked for comments from all concerned. Over in about 25 minutes.

After watching I am still a non member at least until it’s time to buy books again.

PPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFF. Puff! And the icc (international cash cow) lays another golden egg. At least on this issue the icc (international cash cow, repeated) didn't amount to a beer fart in a whirl wind. What is so hard for them to understand? Perhaps I'm missing something? Perhaps if I had their education I would understand? I'll tell you what. In Baltimore I invited the big dogs to the ranch for ribeye steaks and a few beers. I doubt the offer was taken seriously but it was a real offer. All are welcome. Here there shall be no BS. Here is the place to be real. Here is the place to wade through road apples. Well Dominic, Rich, Ron, Adolf, what about it? Or do you all perfer Vagas? Ah crap, I'm just whising in the wind and enjoying the sound.

I am actually more interested in jar546 last comment than the ICC COI debacle. Interesting possibilities.

incoginto: If you are referring to establishing Certs and a program for them we would have to do a great deal of things. First we would have to create an association. That means rules, by laws etc. Then we would have to create a education and testing system to establish real Certs. These are all big steps for a newly created board. Others have talked with me about such ventures. First I believe we need to grow a little and find ourselves as a group. We also need to discuss these ideas openly and divide the work load if this is a real desire.

It is obvious that ICC has taken a turn for the dark side and money is now the driving force. So this shall remain an open topic with input from all welcomed.!