• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IEBC 305.4.2 Exception = Type B units with no required accessible route?

dill bill

Two story change of use, B occ ground floor, six R2 units on the second floor, no ramp, no elevator.

2018 IEBC no amendments "Exception: The accessible features listed in Items 1 through 6 are not required for an accessible route to Type B units."

Unless I'm misreading, we'll have Type B units with no accessible route to the unit?

Posted this under 'accessibility' and got no bites, cross posting here

You may be able to apply the following if your work area is less than half the building.

2018 IEBC 305.4 Change of Occupancy

Existing buildings that undergo a change of group or occupancy shall comply with this section.
Exception: Type B dwelling or sleeping units required by Section 1107 of the International Building Code are not required to be provided in existing buildings and facilities undergoing a change of occupancy in conjunction with alterations where the work area is 50 percent or less of the aggregate area of the building.

We don't have an issue with the requirement, I just wanted to make sure we had the correct interpretation.

I think the justification is that less mobile people, but not wheelchair bound, would be able to somehow make it up the stairs and have their apartments be usable.