• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IEBC exit access travel distance

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have an existing building, two stories and a basement. The basement has one exit access, a stair up to the main level. The exit access travel distance is measured from the most remote point, along the common path including the plane of the steps up and out to the nearest main floor exit discharge per IBC 1017.3. This distance is limited to 75' by IEBC 805.3.1.1 and t805.3.1.1.1(2) for a level 2 alteration. I am pretty sure all other paths would require compliance with the same or with the IBC. The IBC has the same 75' threshold but measures the common path of egress travel, which would end at the top of the steps as an option exists for another path at that point. So in this case it seems the IBC is less restrictive than the IEBC for a level 2 alteration. Does this make sense? As proposed neither point will comply but it is close if using the top of the steps instead of the exit discharge.

2018 IEBC. Proposal is for a co-working type setup, with individual offices on the basement and main level, and a single tenant building owner on the upper level. Is this language a mistake? The commentary for this section uses exit access travel distance while referencing the table which uses common path of egress travel.

Just checked the 21's, the term used is now exit access travel distance. Though it is not even "black-barred". Looked back at my analysis of code changes from the 2012 to the 2015 and 2018, I noted this change from exit access travel distance in 2012 to common path of egress travel in 2015 and 2018. Now its back to exit access travel distance. MAKES SENSE TO ME!