• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IECC 2015 C505.1

Apurva Dave

I have new tenant moving into the space and the space is going from Mercantile to Business. IECC 2015 C505.1 says:

“Section C505
Change of occupancy or Use

spaces undergoing change in occupancy that would result in an increase in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code. Where the use in space changes changes from one use in table C405.2(1) or C405.2(2) to another inC405.2(1) or C405.2(2) the installed lighting wattage shall comply with C405.4”

First paragraph is about change of occupancy C505.1 while second paragraph is about change of use. I am confused about this. I have change of occupancy and change of use I think but not sure based on first paragraph this post correct me if I am wrong though. Would one require to follow lighting wattage Section C405.5? So this means every light in space would need to be changed to LED?

Yes..lighting complies....and if the energy increases, everything complies...
What I have is existing lighting to remain. No new lights added. But as mention in post #1 going to have new tenant and going from Mercantile to Business. So if exiting lighting is to remain how can light energy increase from one tenant to another? I have change in use Also second paragraph C505 says to follow C405.5 if change in use but if light is existing to remain No new lights added would I still have to follow C405.5? I don’t see how light energy would increase

The lighting always complies in a COU needs to meet the W/ft2......It's cheaper than reinsulating and reglazing and replacing all of the mechanicals.....Thank God it is not a COU to a restaurant in a stripmall....