• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Illegal building materials

You say I have a Logical Fallacy but you do not have an Intentional Fallacy

Asserting that everyone agrees (argumentum ad populum,

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people")[1][a] is a fallacious argument which is based on claiming a truth or affirming something is good because the majority thinks so.[2]

For years the consensus was the world was flat

The climate is and has been constantly changing and there is no disagreement on that term. The big question is, is it a crisis of such a magnitude that the reduction of CO2 is imperative and must be addressed immediately without looking at the law of unintended consequences that will result from drastic changes by requiring and/or removing existing energy consumption. Also if it is a world wide problem it will need a world wide solution that is implemented world wide and not in just a few countries that can afford it.

For both sides of the debate, I encourage that you look into global heating/cooling as it relates to the geologic time scale. Global climate is driven by both a natural cycle, and global warming (CO2 emissions tied to man). The natural cycle being primarily related to the Milankovitch cycles, and global warming tied to depletion of the ozone and CO2 emissions from industrial energy production (the burning of fossil fuels). Keep in mind that both cycles are active in our world, and both have have a strong relationship to greenhouse gases (notably CO2).

With the two processes, the primary difference is that in the natural cycle, CO2 rise follows warming because it is mainly due to the Milankovitch cycles. As currently observed by those documenting climate change/global warming, it appears the rise in CO2 is leading the warming. This suggests that current warming is not due to the natural cycle.

I encourage all sides to check out the data presented at http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/natural-cycle. The website has some excellent information that is fairly easy to digest. Lot's of graphs and explanatory information.

But my two cents as a guy who studied Environmental Sci and Geology... Climate change is real, but it is not as big of a deal as politicians want you to believe.

Mother earth will kill us off way before we screw the world over. Disease, natural disasters, drought, etc. are all methods that the world balances itself. Push a system out of balance, and it will self correct; typically, with wonderous amounts of death. To Earth's credit, mother nature is a b!tch, and as a species, man is incredibly weak. Take away our ingenuity, science, and industrial development, and few of us would survive.

You say I have a Logical Fallacy but you do not have an Intentional Fallacy

Asserting that everyone agrees (argumentum ad populum,

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people")[1][a] is a fallacious argument which is based on claiming a truth or affirming something is good because the majority thinks so.[2]

For years the consensus was the world was flat

The climate is and has been constantly changing and there is no disagreement on that term. The big question is, is it a crisis of such a magnitude that the reduction of CO2 is imperative and must be addressed immediately without looking at the law of unintended consequences that will result from drastic changes by requiring and/or removing existing energy consumption. Also if it is a world wide problem it will need a world wide solution that is implemented world wide and not in just a few countries that can afford it.
No, It's an appeal to expertise of people who are experts in the relevant field. No argumentum ad populum there.

"I find it interesting that people who cling to these outliers are also the same people who believe it is some conspiracy to weaken the US.

No, the 98% is environmental engineers and climate scientists. You just don't want to believe it because it doesn't fit your worldview.

You might want to turn off Fox and Newsmax.

The real challenge is what to do with people like you two who wish to remain blissfully ignorant and those who actively attack knowledge and expertise so they can continue to feel superior and hang on to nostalgia for a time that never existed.

No logic courses at building inspector school?"

That's all you Red. In one thread you tossed in five insults and I'm betting that you have more to come. I took special note of the "people like you two" While it is a step up for me to be paired with mtlogcabin, I'm guessing that he's not on board with that. I could prove that the mountain dweller is not ignorant, but he carries his own water.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I find it interesting that people who cling to these outliers are also the same people who believe it is some conspiracy to weaken the US.

No, the 98% is environmental engineers and climate scientists. You just don't want to believe it because it doesn't fit your worldview.

You might want to turn off Fox and Newsmax.

The real challenge is what to do with people like you two who wish to remain blissfully ignorant and those who actively attack knowledge and expertise so they can continue to feel superior and hang on to nostalgia for a time that never existed.

No logic courses at building inspector school?"

That's all you Red. In one thread you tossed in five insults and I'm betting that you have more to come. I took special note of the "people like you two" While it is a step up for me to be paired with mtlogcabin,, I'm guessing that he's not on board with that. I could prove that the mountain dweller is not ignorant, but he carries his own water.
Those aren’t attacks on individuals, they are attacks on ideas. This is a case in point of several of my recent posts. Just because someone attacks your idea isn’t equivalent to them attacking you; that you’re a bad person.

I’m not sure why you’re offended, but that is the playbook of following poor logic, sooner or later ad hominem shows up.

This is pure logical fallacy. The overwhelming consensus is that human activity is driving climate change. Just because you can find a few outliers does not negate the remaining 98%.
There was this study recently where they determined that 98% of percentages were made up.

Like the one I just posted.

I encourage all sides to check out the data presented at http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/natural-cycle. The website has some excellent information that is fairly easy to digest. Lot's of graphs and explanatory information.
This is a foundation funded by and run by one person, with very little information on their activities. The individual, John Reisman, has a degree in sound recording. He is the foundations only employee. I can not accept anything from the ossfoundation as creditable based on information available.

NASA has a creditable explanation why the Milankovitch cycles do not explain the current climate change.

Here is an interesting article about common building materials now deemed to illegal.

The only one that surprised me was the ban on Natural Gas for new homes in SF and NYC.

The only one that surprised me was the ban on Natural Gas for new homes in SF and NYC.
That shouldn't surprise you or anyone else at all! The liberals in those cities will do whatever it takes to destroy the US economy and make us dependent on environmentally friendly resources! They completely disregard the fact that we can't afford to do that and the technology that exists today is not sufficient.

This is a foundation funded by and run by one person, with very little information on their activities. The individual, John Reisman,
He has an impressive website. Says he worked at the University of the World. But nowhere does it give any educational degrees earned. Looks like he earns his money coordinating reviews by “experts” and keeping up the web site.