• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Illuminance meters

bill1952

SAWHORSE
I'm in a A117.1 committee meeting and a statement was made that most building inspectors don't carry an illuminance meter, aka light meter. Since I always have my Minolta T-10 (once the gold standard for illuminance meters but I'm guessing aged and surpassed like me) primarily to check that code required levels are met, I was surprised by the statement in the committee.

So, is it true? Do most of you who do inspections carry or not carry an illuminance meter? Maybe someone more adept at this bulletin board can do a poll.

You are correct
I only have used them, for disability issues once, in 36 years in the industry....that was for a trip and fall on a stairway.
I have used it for light transcending property lines many times...

My view on design and construction is very lopsided, working almost only on theatres, so will narrow the inquiry to: do you measure light levels in auditoriums, assuming you've inspected one? (I bought my meter after it was flagged by an inspector as inadequate and was threatened with not being able to open on the presold grand opening night. Clip lights and extension cords to the temporary rescue. So one of your number does.)

I bought my first one way back when I was an intern architect, in the 1970s. I now own a more sensitive one -- personally, not my department. My boss also owns one -- also personally. Neither of us carries it around on a regular basis, but we have them available in the event of a question.

I'm a little surprised. I suppose it explains why I get comments about "bright" aisle lighting, which was usually very near code minimum; and why in random sampling of other theatres, very few were even close. The code required 0.2 fc is pretty minimal, but I have found many under 0.1 fc.

Never did a theater. I used an app light meter in a large warehouse with no windows once for the fire alarm strobes. I really don't trust that it is accurate. Since I only work when it's daylight, and most places have windows I don't have many chances to use it.

I'm very sensitive to this issue for theatres, where a "black out" is often required, and aisle lighting and illuminmated exit signs are a distraction. Necessary of course and careful design (all too rare) can overcome most objections. But it would seem between IBC and referenced standards, inspection for code compliance would include means of egress illumination, 2018 IBC section 1008.

owners responsibility to proved means of inspection 2015 IBC

110.5 Inspection Requests
It shall be the duty of the holder of the building permit or their duly authorized agent to notify the building official when work is ready for inspection. It shall be the duty of the permit holder to provide access to and means for inspections of such work that are required by this code.

owners responsibility to proved means of inspection 2015 IBC

110.5 Inspection Requests
It shall be the duty of the holder of the building permit or their duly authorized agent to notify the building official when work is ready for inspection. It shall be the duty of the permit holder to provide access to and means for inspections of such work that are required by this code.
I don't think I would agree that "means of inspection" would imply the necessary measurement tools.

means
[mēnz]
NOUN
means (noun) · means (plural noun)
  1. (MEANS OF SOMETHINGMEANS TO DO SOMETHING)​
    an action or system by which a result is brought about; a method:​
    "resolving disputes by peaceful means" · "these pledges are a means to avoid prosecution"

Per the definition, and just in what I would apply as common sense, the "means of inspection" would include items other than the basic tools of the job, PPE, etc. Means of inspection would include ladders, lifts, work platforms, fall-protection systems (i.e. the yoyo, but not the harness), etc.

So when testing fire pumps we should supply the hose monster, hoses, and pitot gauges?
No, I do not think that those items are necessarily the basic tools of the job. Those are highly specific to the fire industry and would likely be supplied by the installer of that system or via the Fire Marshall. That said, our local FD had their own hoses, hydrant diffuser, and pitot gauge that lived in the FM's truck specifically for doing hydrant flow testing.

But a tape measure, light meter, scales and gauges, thermometers, etc. are all basic hand tools that should be available to the building inspector staff via their department.