• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I'm Going to be in Topeka Kansas 5-2 ---5-6

Mule

Platinum Member
Anybody going to be around that area and want to meet for dinner one day?

Going to a CPTED class all week!

Thank goodness I didn't... :) It was sort-of ..... cute? Did have G-Kids though... Thank goodness they weren't into that one! I think I would have had to gone postal on the TV! :beatdhrs

Well, I'm back at the office and I have to admit this was a very interesting class. For those of you who do not know what CPTED is ...it means Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design. It appears to be a real good concept for detering crime.

CPTED Training

Some AHJ's have made CPTED required while other have just adopted ordinances and and can request changes. One concept was the type of required lighting. Some lights will give onlookers a different color than what it really is. Like a red car may look brown under certain lights. Someone robs a store and the description would be a brown car....actually red.

It really was an interesting class. Our jurisdiction has adopted an ordinance, not mandatory but prefered. Our first review and the PD wanted 30 additional lights. That didn't happen! Gotta use some common sense too!