• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IMC 1101.9 Access caps?

steveray

SAWHORSE
Anyone calling this out on mini-splits where the caps are behind a panel that is screwed on? Are are you calling that "otherwise secured".....Thanks!

1101.9 Locking access port caps. Refrigerant circuit access
ports located outdoors shall be fitted with locking-type
tamper-resistant caps or shall be otherwise secured to
prevent unauthorized access.

Exception: This section shall not apply to refrigerant
circuit access ports on equipment installed in controlled
areas such as on roofs with locked access hatches or
doors.

Anyone calling this out on mini-splits where the caps are behind a panel that is screwed on? Are are you calling that "otherwise secured".....Thanks!

1101.9 Locking access port caps. Refrigerant circuit access
ports located outdoors shall be fitted with locking-type
tamper-resistant caps or shall be otherwise secured to
prevent unauthorized access.

Exception: This section shall not apply to refrigerant
circuit access ports on equipment installed in controlled
areas such as on roofs with locked access hatches or
doors.

We were just discussing this subject today.

The contractor told us that the ports are not the same size as standard condenser units, and so they require special locking caps. I did not verify if this is true.

I don't even know if huffing refrigerant is still a thing, or if it was just a social media craze. Regardless, the tool to remove those caps is about $20 if you order it online.

The purpose is to stop children from accessing the refrigerant - I think hardcore drug users are more likely to steal the condenser and sell the copper so they can buy real drugs.

I could go either way on this one. I think that a Philips screw or two was not what the code writers had in mind when they wrote this section, I think they meant for it to be a little more difficult than that. If the kids can find a pair of pliers to get the regular caps off, I don't think a screwdriver is outside their capabilities.

But, the key to the locking caps is not hard to get ahold of either...

We are accepting the screws for the moment, but we don't know which way we will ultimately go.

We don't accept the panel because its no more of a specialized tool than taking a standard cap off.

The latest problem we've had here is cutting out the lineset between the building and the condenser and leaving the condenser set. Quick grab and dash for $5 worth of copper that causes $5000 worth of damage.

I remember when this came in to the IMC. It became a gotcha for a lot of inspectors, but apparently huffing the stuff was a thing in some places. I don't think a lot of folks really wanted to nail people with it, but it is one of those things that once in the code it is hard to tell inspectors not to write it up. Hard time believing the 300.00 thing, but then again I had a turkey sandwich from a grab-n-go today that cost me 20.00.

# ~ #

The AHJ DOES have the choice to amend this section out of the adopted IMC.
Just sayin'...

Has the "huffing fad" passed on in to obscurity, or is it still a real problem ?

# ~ #

# ~ #

Just sayin'...

Has the "huffing fad" passed on in to obscurity, or is it still a real problem ?

# ~ #

The AHJ is the code official. In how many jurisdictions does the code officlal write the local amendments to the adopted codes?

In my state, the codes are adopted by the state, through the state legislature. NO local municipality is allowed to make any amendments to the code, and in this state local code officials are not authorized to grant modifications. That power is resreved to the state building inspector for building code mods, and to the state fire marshal for fire code mods.

Just sayin'...

Not here. Any amendments must be voted on and adopted by the governing body of the municipality by ordinance, then approved by the state.

We were able to get a state amendment for residential homes.
(k) Subsection 1101.10, Locking access port caps, is modified by adding the following: "This subsection shall not apply to single-family dwellings."

A few desperate addicts used HVAC refrigerant to get high and now the rest of society pays a price. Building codes should not be created as a way to control behavior.

A few desperate addicts used HVAC refrigerant to get high and now the rest of society pays a price. Building codes should not be created as a way to control behavior.
Like backup cameras and that backseat alarm and now it will be the automatic DUI detectors....

A couple of couples were found deceased in garages after the Paradise wildfire consumed the dwellings. Apparently the occupants were unable to exit the garage because the electricity had been cut and the garage door would not open when they pushed the button. There is another mechanism to be utilized in such a circumstance but obviously they ignored or didn't know about that. I wonder if there was evidence that the car was used as a battering ram in a failed attempt to flee?

As a result of this, all new garage door openers installed in the state of California are required to have a battery backup. I recently had garage doors replaced. No contractor would reuse an opener that did not have a battery backup. That was $hundreds$ I didn't need to spend because I know why there's a red handled rope hanging from the opener.

Well you might say that old people don't have the strength to push the door up manually. Those would be the ones we find in a garage after the next wildfire races through a community.