• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Importance of Permit and Inspection Approval for Re-roof work?

I guess it depends on what your definition of "interpretation" is. I know the state attorney attached to our state building inspector's office a number of years ago stated that an AHJ cannot "interpret" the code to mean something different from the plain language of the code. So if the code says a permit IS required for all repair work, and reroofing is NOT specifically listed under exemptions, an AHJ cannot (legally) "interpret" the code to say that he doesn't feel like dealing with reroofing.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "interpretation" is.
That gets stretched to ridiculous limits.

the plain language of the code.
There’s a lot of wiggle room built in to that.

an AHJ cannot (legally) "interpret" the code to say that he doesn't feel like dealing with reroofing.
The AHJs are aware and not impressed.

the plain language of the code.

There’s a lot of wiggle room built in to that.

How is there ANY wiggle room in "The following things require a permit," followed by a list of everything that needs a permit?

The AHJs are aware and not impressed.

Yeah, we had one like that in our state a while back. At virtually every in-service class I attended where the then-State Building Inspector was the instructor, he (the SBI) would say, "We have a uniform building code in this state. It's the same code and it applies the same everywhere in the state ... except for [___]. And [name of BO], just remember, it's all fun making up your own rules, until you get sued, because I can't and won't back you up when you're winging it."

Well, the BO in question just laughed and kept on winging it ... right up to the day he was sued, and lost his job over it.

How is there ANY wiggle room in "The following things require a permit," followed by a list of everything that needs a permit?

Yeah, we had one like that in our state a while back. At virtually every in-service class I attended where the then-State Building Inspector was the instructor, he (the SBI) would say, "We have a uniform building code in this state. It's the same code and it applies the same everywhere in the state ... except for [___]. And [name of BO], just remember, it's all fun making up your own rules, until you get sued, because I can't and won't back you up when you're winging it."

Well, the BO in question just laughed and kept on winging it ... right up to the day he was sued, and lost his job over it.
One Building Official out of thousands. I am reminded of schools of fish and flocks of birds.

I don’t mean to diminish the importance of following the rules but let’s be reasonable. How about the rule whereby a jurisdiction can’t make a profit from a building department. That is nearly universally ignored. The pathetic performance is such a bigger problem that is also not noticed.

Allowing re-roofs to go without a permit isn’t likely to generate complaints… and that’s wiggle room.

Last edited:
I'm sure every state is different. In California there is no State Building Inspector/Official, or any other direct oversite. Jurisdictions are left to do pretty much whatever they want. Not necessarily a good thing in every situation, but it does allow the AHJ to do what they feel is right for their city/town/county. If they don't fit in, they get pushed out.