• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

In what condition which a house is only permitted on top of a house?

sunyaer

A friend of mine asked this very interesting question:

In Ontario building code, inn what condition which a house is only permitted on top of a house? Row town houses?

Wouldn't this simply be a two family house? I'm assuming upper one is not indepently supported on its own foundation.

When you submit a code compliant design, or a design professional submits the same.

Oz? As in the land Dorothy and Toto go to meet the Wizard of Oz? Of course that was a house above a witch, not another house.

A friend of mine asked this very interesting question:

In Ontario building code, inn what condition which a house is only permitted on top of a house? Row town houses?
The use of the term "only" would suggest that the house is not permitted to be located to the side.

This is not a function of the building code, but a function of zoning and economics.

The only thing that would restrict this is the land. If you physically do not have the area to construct beside, you would need to construct above. Apartment buildings are an example of this. There is not the land to construct them side-by-side, so they construct them dozens of stories tall.