• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Incandescent light bulb ban put on hold

Yes he signed a Democratically proposed bill. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. The banning of the incandescent light bulb was a portion of it along with the requirement for raising the fuel efficiency of vehicles, the development of bio-fuels and the requirement for public buildings to be more energy efficient.

Like most legislation there are good parts and bad parts written into massive bills and unfortunately the president does not have the option of only signing into law the portions he likes.

It is the whole package or nothing

Nothing would be OK too then. Most of the punch in the bowl is great, but that one...little....turd...

Hard to just fish that out with everything being OK.

Brent.

Incandescent bulbs are NOT dead. They are still (and evidently will be for quite some time) made and sold, and sold at a good price too. The main difference is that to get around the law, they are now Rough Service bulbs. Here is a website (one of several) that sell them. Example is six 75 watt bulbs for $17.94, since they are 'rough service' they have an extra wire near the filament making the filament last longer (10,000 hours on a 120 volt supply), some are Silicone lined so they resist breaking. Below is a link to the web site, and no, I do not work or represent the company in any way. The bulbs are available in 40 through 100 watt sizes, I believe other 'rough service' manufacturers have other wattages.

http://www.arizonatools.com/light-bulbs

There are many companies taking the same approach and making a mockery of the entire failure. Here's the website for another company that claims they have the new incandescent bulbs, which in reality are just rough service conventional bulbs. http://www.newcandescent.com/

Actually, rough service bulbs are even less efficient than conventional incandescent bulbs. If you look at the lumens output by a specific wattage, rough service bulbs have at least 10% less output!

That probably keeps them cooler somehow making the filiment less brittle.

Funny now there are not only vintage style bulbs, but a cottage industry has popped up making artisan hand made bulbs.

I love stuff like that, eve if I don't use them.

Brent.