• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspecting Fire Alarm Systems

Inspecting Fire Alarm Systems

• Building Inspector Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Marshal Only

• Electrical Inspector Only

• A combination of 2 or more of the above

• Other (please post and explain)

• Total voters

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Who inspects the system in your jurisdiction?

There are requirements under the IBC that the building inspector must know about and inspect.

There are requirements within NFPA 72 so who does those inspections?

There are requirements under the NEC that the electrical inspector must know about and inspect.

All three in my state, governed by the building code for installation placement, reviewed by the fire department and electrical correctly by electrical inspector, commission by the building official and the fire official, which usually is a big party.

You need the electrician who installed the wires, the fire alarm installer for the devices and panel, the programer for the digatial system, the HVAC controls guy for their interface and shut down, sprinkler contractors for the flows and tampers, a fire pump guy for the fire pump and transfer switch and smoke control in a really complex project, the access controls folks for special locking arrangements and if you have an elevator a couple of elevator mechanics.

you can through in a couple RDPs for fun to puzzle all the problems out :banghd

I have been the inspector on a couple of big school projects. It was nothing to have 10 or 15 people testing the diferent systems. When something didn't work the finger pointing among the contractors started I earnest.

Where I am now we are changing inspection policies to include the building side.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

I clicked building inspector because we do all the alarms and sprinklers within the building department. 2 people are certified Fire Inspector II and 1 of them is a Fire Plans Examiner. The AHJ no longer has a Fire Marshal since those duties where assigned to the building department.

My experience is most electrical inspectors have little experience or knowledge on how an alarm system works.

All Permits are through our Building Department. Fire District acts similar to a third-party, and does plan review and acceptance tests. I do a final (combo inspector) on behalf of the Village.

mj

TheCommish said:
All three in my state, governed by the building code for installation placement, reviewed by the fire department and electrical correctly by electrical inspector, commission by the building official and the fire official, which usually is a big party. You need the electrician who installed the wires, the fire alarm installer for the devices and panel, the programer for the digatial system, the HVAC controls guy for their interface and shut down, sprinkler contractors for the flows and tampers, a fire pump guy for the fire pump and transfer switch and smoke control in a really complex project, the access controls folks for special locking arrangements and if you have an elevator a couple of elevator mechanics.

you can through in a couple RDPs for fun to puzzle all the problems out :banghd
You forgot the fire suppression guy and the plant maintance guy. Last large group that showed up a kitchen suppression inspection of mine included a couple of guys who showed up because it was cold outside.

Yes you are correct I did forgot the kitchen hood suppression system. The plant maintenance guy ran away it was way to complicated for him, he was putting out wooden door chocks because the fire doors kept closing

For the 20 years I've been in my state the legal authority as with the Electrical Inspector however the Fire Inspector could act as a 3rd party for the BO in accordance with Chapter 1 of the BC. Effective 2-4-14 the legal authority is also given to the "qualified" fire inspector for plan review and inspection in addition to all fire protection systems in Chapter 9 of the BC should the governmental jurisdiction choose to have the Fire Inspector registered as fire protection system inspectors and plan reviewers. It took 20 years but we got it done.

For NAVFAC projects the 3rd Party Fire Protection Engineer does pre-tests with the base fire inspector and then the NAVFAC FPE comes out for a final inspection.

nitramnaed said:
I voted a combination. Depends on how sophisticated the local authority is.
nitramnaed (J.R.) welcome to the Building Code Forum. Agree with your post.

The Fire Marshal in my jurisdiction does the alarm with the sprinkler inspections; otherwise our staff of combination inspectors will do the alarms.

Last edited by a moderator:
nitramnaed said:
I voted a combination. Depends on how sophisticated the local authority is.
Welcome also

Yes this web site will drive you to drink