• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspectors insignia or shield?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Is there or has there ever been an inspectors insignia or shield? Kinda like the fire fighters skull and crossbones..... I mean fire plug and hose nozzles.

How bout a big....I...eye?

pc1

Thanks mark, I've got the stink'in.....badges already!

Don't even suggest "BI"

pc1

if you need to point at a badge your have other problems, like lack of respect. Photo Id issued by AHJ yes gold, silver or any other color definite not in my opinion.

I sit on my badge most of the time, that is not what I'm asking. Just looking for a unity logo between inspectors other than the ICC logo. I see firefighters with thier logo on specialized vehicles plates issued by the state. I see enforcment like ICE (not ICE on this board, would,nt want a dancing pencil as the inspectors logo, would you?) FBI, ATF on hats and jackets. Was called in on a couple of drug bust, only one there without a lanyard, who are you? I'm..I'm the building inspector? Oh!

I might buy an IOWA hawkees black hat with the big "I" for inspector. You should too, and start the trend!

Disclaimer: Not a Big-10 person at all!

pc1

Hat with FBI on it, Frigging Building Inspector, that is some of my customers want.

Here in Ma the Massachusetts Federation of Building Officials is promoting uniform shirts and such with the state seal

apparell

There was a Code Enforcement Officer shot and killed several years ago entering a complex in the hood they figure the badge caused it, was wearing it on his shirt.

I've seen badges go to building inspector's heads and don't like the idea. When I took this job they had a badge (that got lost my first day on the job ;) ). I went to the police department and they made me an ID card with my photo on it; stating that I was the city inspector and signed by the police chief. I only clip it on my shirt pocket when I'm inspecting at a private home; to show I really do work for the city; and I think the citizens appreciate that. In some instances I believe it good to have an Id card; but, badges are not neccessary, nor are they appropriate for building inspectors. Uncle Bob

We do ID's for Building Inspection, but we also have badges for our Fire Inspections, it lends a little more authority, and seems to work.

I've had the whole kit before. White shirt (Blue for Inspectors) with epaulets and military creases, big golden badge, name tag AND a picture ID. It worked there because the uniforms before were brown. We kept getting told that deliveries were in the rear. :D

Where I am now there are no uniforms, just a picture ID and a City truck. Although a Polo shirt with a tasteful logo might be good.

For building inspections we have city issued picture ID, ball caps & hardhats, jacket, and blue shirts with city logo. We also do the fire inspections and we do have a badge for that because the FD wears a uniform or any number of clothing items with a Fire Department printed all over it. So it gives us a little bit more credibility for a business to allow us in the door for an inspection.