• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Insulating small area of roof / ceiling - IECC exemption?

Jay

SAWHORSE
Hello....not doing too much commercial work I am looking for guidance on a small project. Commercial office building has a small 10 x 9 greenhouse type wall/roof assembly that was built in the mid-80's. Owner wants to replace with wood frame assembly with solid roof and new window wall. I have a question about insulation...

The area for new roof framing works best with a 2 x 6 rafter in order to maintain the wall height for windows. Ok with the rafter span. Looking to avoid spray foam insulation if possible. I see that per IECC we are required to have R-38. Can anyone please steer me in the right direction as to where I might find an exemption in the current energy code for such a small area? Not sure if C503.3 building envelope for existing buildings helps without me analyzing the entire building? I am going from full fenestration to solid roof. Common sense we will be better off. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure that you will find an exception....

But if it were me, I would go with the U-factor method. Insulate the void with batt, and add some continuous insulation on the top of the deck. Would mean a TPO roof, but I would be that is doable.

Otherwise, 2x10 rafters are in your future.

Reactions: Jay
Thanks for the replies. I emailed the Building Inspector and will see what he has to say.