• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Intended to be occupied as a residence

Either way 1107.5 requires "I" occupancies to have have "B" units
Does this mean you disagree with my reading that Type B are only required where sleeping units are "intended to be occupied as a residence"? If the code means "all I occupancies must have B units" than why does the clause existing in the code to say "where intended to be residence"?

This is what it says:
1107.5.1.2 Type B units. In structures with four or more dwelling units or sleeping units intended to be occupied as a residence, every dwelling unit and sleeping unit intended to be occupied as a residence shall be a Type B unit.

If it said this, I would agree that it meant "all". Rewritten code language:
1107.5.1.2 Type B units. In structures with four or more dwelling units or sleeping units every dwelling unit and sleeping unit shall be a Type B unit.

IBC Chapter 11 requirements for Type B dwelling units are based on the 1988 amendments to the Fair Housing Act.

Covered multifamily dwellings are:
1. all dwelling units in buildings containing four or more dwelling units if such buildings have one or more elevators, and
2. all ground floor dwelling units in other buildings containing four or more units.
Only the ground floor of a multistory units is covered.

There are 7 requirements for covered units:
1. Accessible Building Entrance on an Accessible Route
2. Accessible and Usable Public and Common Use Areas
3. Usable Doors
4. Accessible Route Into and Through the Covered Dwelling Unit
5. Light Switches, Electrical Outlets, Thermostats and Other Environmental Controls in Accessible Locations
6. Reinforced Walls for Grab Bars (in Bathrooms)
7. Usable Kitchens and Bathrooms

I can't find "abode" in the HUD Fair Housing Act Design Manual.

Check Websters synonyms, it is similar to a home. See Chapter 1 of code under definitions for those not listed, it differs to dictionaries.