• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

intermediate handrail for monumental stair

ccollings

we have a monumental stair that is also a means of egress stair. it's a split stair. the bottom run is 12' wide and has an intermediate handrail. each upper run is 7'-8" wide and does not have an intermediate rail. the steel fabricator has added an intermediate railing because the upper runs are over 60" wide. i'd rather not have the intermediate railing if not required.

1709847760785.png

What is the OL of the bottom stair?

1014.9 Intermediate handrails.
Stairways shall have intermediate handrails located in such a manner that all portions of the stairway minimum width or required capacity are within 30 inches (762 mm) of a handrail. On monumental stairs, handrails shall be located along the most direct path of egress travel.

You only need the intermediate rail if the full 7'-8" width is required for egress, which I doubt since that would mean the bottom steps would need to be at least 15'-4" wide.

Since the bottom steps are not 15'-4" wide, you only use the 30" closest to each rail (60" total) to establish the maximum allowed capacity of each split stairway, The aggregate capacity of both split stairways are still limited by the capacity of the bottom steps.

the steel fabricator has added an intermediate railing because the upper runs are over 60" wide.
When the steel fabricator told you they added the intermediate handrail because the width was over 60” did they tell you why, I mean, is that their preference or are they saying the intermediate railing is required by code?

By the way, it doesn’t look like the handrail extensions are shown at the upper stair landings, the handrails appear to stop at the upper risers.

You only need the intermediate rail if the full 7'-8" width is required for egress, which I doubt since that would mean the bottom steps would need to be at least 15'-4" wide.

Since the bottom steps are not 15'-4" wide, you only use the 30" closest to each rail (60" total) to establish the maximum allowed capacity of each split stairway, The aggregate capacity of both split stairways are still limited by the capacity of the bottom steps.
Useful commentary, thank you.

Intermediate rails are only required if the required width, based on number of occupants, is more than 60" plus the handrail projections. This is based on the IBC 1014.9 requirement for all portions of the required width to be within 30" of a handrail plus the IBC 1014.8 allowance for handrails to project up to 4 1/2" into the required width (a 3 1/2" projection is typical).