• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Intermediate Landing Ceiling Height

lunatick

Silver Member
IBC 2006 or 2012 question. I see no difference between these versions. Have an existing building with a portion being rebuilt. Not a large building or lot Stair desire for a lobby is open and has 3 fights. Looking at it from egress. First landing coming up, the ceiling is 7' and 6'-8" at first tread and then goes up to 8 feet above main level floor. Looking at code and commentary I am not certain if the 7'-6" applies to the intermediate landing or not.

Clear height for stairways is 80 inches measured vertically at the edge of the nosings (Section 1009.5, 2012 IBC). Since the IBC defines "stairways" as the flights of stairs and their associated landings and platforms, the 80-inch minimum height applies to those features as well.

Don't have the book in front of me, if memory serves, the minimum height in all parts of the stairway is 80"

Headroom is not same as ceiling height.

I would call the landing part of the stairway and not as a room with a ceiling.

Correct me if the min. tread depth is 11 inches, the min. required landing length is at least as wide as the stairs; take 36 inches min. for example will have a min. height of 6' 8" beyond the depth of the treads at both ends of the landing, therefor 11 + 11 - 36 = 11 inches of landing in between the stairs that should be 7' 6" min. in height.

The height above the stairs would need to be higher to avoid this odd configeration.