• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Intumescent paint instead of non-com behind hood

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Received a T/I for an A2 in a VB building. They didn't specify the wall construction behind the a new hood being placed on the existing demising wall. I assumed it was wood, but you never know. I asked for verification of wall construction behind the hood. I guess the architect didn't know the wall was wood framed...so the response was to strip the wall and spray the wood studs with intumescent paint. Anyone heard of or accepted this before?

Same here, I have always asked for metal studs, and that is what I expected to get back. I feel like this is a throw it against the wall to see if it sticks situation....then they will complain when it causes a delay. Seems way more problematic to use the intumescent paint and a special inspector than to just replace the studs.

Sheetrock does not make wood noncombustible, but it provides a layer of fire protection for the wood.
Yes...but also conducts heat and would not satisfy the code here either....If it says non-combustible finish, that is one thing, non-combustible construction is another...

My understanding is gypsum board cannot pass the test and that is why the code specifically states you can use gypsum board on non-combustible framing with a minimum 3" clearance

506.3.6 Grease duct clearances.
Where enclosures are not required, grease duct systems and exhaust equipment serving a Type I hood shall have a clearance to combustible construction of not less than 18 inches (457 mm), and shall have a clearance to noncombustible construction and gypsum wallboard attached to noncombustible structures of not less than 3 inches (76 mm).

2018 IMC
NONCOMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS. Materials that, when tested in accordance with ASTM E 136, have not fewer than three of four specimens tested meeting all of the following criteria:

1. The recorded temperature of the surface and interior thermocouples shall not at any time during the test rise more than 54ºF (30ºC) above the furnace temperature at the beginning of the test.

2. There shall not be flaming from the specimen after the first 30 seconds.

3. If the weight loss of the specimen during testing exceeds 50 percent, the recorded temperature of the surface and interior thermocouples shall not at any time during the test rise above the furnace air temperature at the beginning of the test, and there shall not be flaming of the specimen.