• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC 2009 Definitions

Re: IRC 2009 Definitions

ATTIC, HABITABLE. A finished or unfinished area, not considered a story, complying with all of the following requirements:

1. The occupiable floor area is at least 70 square feet (17 m2), in accordance with Section R304,

2. The occupiable floor area has a ceiling height in accordance with Section R305, and

3. The occupiable space is enclosed by the roof assembly above, knee walls (if applicable) on the sides and the floor-ceiling assembly below.

THAT'S what it means...

It means that if it can reasonably be finished as living space, it gets treated differently than an attic that cannot be reasonably finished as living space.

And, Yes that will likely mean compliant stairs... D'OH!

Oh sure.......you guys had to go and start using the "S" word again, thought you learned your lessons....... :lol:

That definition meets most attics in the US.

So, now all new single family homes will need fire sprinklers AND compliant stairs to the attic.

If it is not conditioned it is not habitable--no sprinklers and the stairs do not have to comply.

2009 IRC; new requirements.

(Note: you cannot use the requirements and definitions of the 2000, 2003, 2006 IRCs; and/or any other code; to interpret the requirements of the 2009 IRC.)

In accordance with the definition of "ATTIC; HABITABLE AREA", there is no requirement for conditioned space; and it can also be an "unfinished area".

There is no requirement for an "attic; habitable area" to a be a "HABITABLE ROOM"; and the "attic habitable area" is not subject to the requirements of R303.1 for light, ventilation and heating; that requires "habitable rooms" to have light, ventilation and heating.

The requirements for "ATTIC, HABITABLE AREAS" is "a specific requirement" for attic areas; and in accordance with R102.1; "the specific requirements shall be applicable".

Also, Table R301.5 Minimum Uniformly Distributed Life Loads; has added, "Habitable attics and attics served with fixed stairs; require minimum live load of 30 psf.".

If you have "fixed stairs" you are going to be required to meet new minimum requirements in the attic area served by those "fixed stairs".

And there is more, :cool:

In the 2009 IRC, Section R311, Means of Egress is discribed in more detail;

"R311.1 Means of egress. All dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of virtical and horizontal egress travel from ALL PORTIONS OF THE DWELLING to the exteriior of the dwelling at the required egress door WITHOUT REQUIRING TRAVEL THROUGH A GARAGE.

You cannot have a fixed stairs from the habitable attic space (as defined in chapter 2, definitions); to the garage; because the "habitable attic space is "a portion of the dwelling".

Stairs and Stairways to attic areas are officially back, :)

Uncle Bob

Well think on this! If it is habitable and has exposed insulation wouldn't it need to be protected? 15min covering ?

UB: Thanks for forcing me to open those new books! The 09 codes should produce some great debates!

RJJ,

Me too. I really didn't want to take the wraps off my set of 2009 I-Codes; but, now that Oklahoma is working on adopting new State codes; and I may find myself on one of the technical committees; so, I finally unwraped them.

(On a side note; there are approximately 13 people in Oklahoma that have ICC Residential Energy Certifications; and one of them is retired. :mrgreen: )

There are a lot of changes; and many States and local AHJs are adopting the new 2009 I-Codes, without knowing what is in them; but, that really isn't new.

Uncle Bob

Hey! There are a whole bunch of inspectors that don't know what in them either. I was at the hearings and follow many things closely and still find surprises. :roll:

Right now I am trying to go page by page and compare what is new to what is old. Should produce some interesting issues. :D

It appears that 5 levels of habitable areas can be considered a three story structures thus being allowed to be constructed by the IRC? (Basement, story 1, 2 & 3 and habitable attic)

FM William Burns said:
yep, and we can still have 40' high rescue and egress openings that the FD can't access with a 24' (typically carried) portable extension. Hope the new homes come equipped with:http://www.fireescapesystems.com/commer ... scape2.asp
I would think a fire escape means should be employed whenever the means of rescue can become challenging with existing equipment like a fire-escape stairway protected by a 3 hour rated fire-wall. Such as a concrete wall. Accessed at all levels from grade to highest occupied/habited floor area with no more then one flight of stair travel to exterior fire-escape stairway landing.

This stairway should ideally be of fire-resistant or fire-proof construction and protected by 3 hour fire rated wall. In residential, I may be lenient on the door way but I think fire-rated doors should be employed on the emergency escape. Should primarily apply to new construction unless feasibly installable on an existing building without destroying the historic elements of the building. It depends.

JD wrote;

It means that if it can reasonably be finished as living space, it gets treated differently than an attic that cannot be reasonably finished as living space. And, Yes that will likely mean compliant stairs... D'OH!
I would agree, if it doesn't meet this definition that the stairs are still not required to meet the means of egress requirement.

RA;

why go to all the trouble installing 3 hour-rated walls and be lenient on the door??

kilitact said:
RA;why go to all the trouble installing 3 hour-rated walls and be lenient on the door??
I can go with 1hr rated door but not likely a 3-hour rated door. You want to move a brick door?

However, the exterior landing would be 2-3 hour rated. And possibly also the interior landing would have 1 - 3 hour rated R.C. construction. The reason is the door would not be easy to be made 3 hr. rated and also be functional.

If possible, any interior stairs to the exterior fire escape stair way would be R.C or other non-combustible construction.

FM William Burns said:
RA,I can't seem to find that requirement/alternative in the IRC.
It's not. It is a design recommendation. I would also suggest any flight of stairs going up or down to an exterior fire escape stairway landing to be of 2-3 hour rated construction including the interior landing. The door has to be light enough to open and a door rated at 2-3 hours would be a brick or r.c. door. Not something I can imagine to be very easy to open or close.

RA,

I knew that and sorry.........should have put a ;) after the post, just being a little smart @$$. I also understood and agree with the door. That proposed design alternative would be a welcome sight for those types of McMansions we've seen far too often and will see again when the economy gets better and especially for those areas where the RFS will be amended out.

I'm just afraid that for similar reasons as mentioned in other threads, the costs would tick off the interest groups responsible for the historic reductions seen presently in the model and amended editions of the code. At least there remains a means in the model to contribute to greater escabability by reducing the hazards ability that forces civilians to make decisions to decend those heights by the only available makeshift means and hazardous options when the fight or flight mechanism kicks in.

FM William Burns said:
RA,I knew that and sorry.........should have put a ;) after the post, just being a little smart @$$. I also understood and agree with the door. That proposed design alternative would be a welcome sight for those types of McMansions we've seen far too often and will see again when the economy gets better and especially for those areas where the RFS will be amended out.

I'm just afraid that for similar reasons as mentioned in other threads, the costs would tick off the interest groups responsible for the historic reductions seen presently in the model and amended editions of the code. At least there remains a means in the model to contribute to greater escabability by reducing the hazards ability that forces civilians to make decisions to decend those heights by the only available makeshift means and hazardous options when the fight or flight mechanism kicks in.
There are techniques and possible improvements to my design concept that would keep the fire (slow down the progression) away from the door way to begin with. Essentially putting in a 3 hour rated wall on the interior side and exterior side of the interior stair way or a number of techniques to reduce fire progression. Fire does not progress over rock/concrete/brick as fast as wood in most cases. Giving additional time for escape. Door can't be too heavy to operate. I would be lenient on the door if there is essentially a fire break solution.

I would say this would be more applicable to new construction then existing buildings. Historic buildings are another topic altogether and maintaining historic character being important.

Rick,

What the hell are you talking about?

"3 hour fire rated walls; concrete enclosed stairways; concrete stairways, brick doors?"

What are you building; Hitler's bunker?

It's a HOME for crying out loud!

And, what has this to do with the Original Topic?

2009 Definition of ATTIC; HABITABLE:

"ATTIC, HABITABLE. A finished or unfinished area, not considered a story, complying with all of the following requirements:

1. The occupiable floor area is at least 70 square feet (17 m2), in accordance with Section R304,

2. The occupiable floor area has a ceiling height in accordance with Section R305, and

3. The occupiable space is enclosed by the roof assembly above, knee walls (if applicable) on the sides and the floor-ceiling assembly below."

Sheesh,

Uncle Bob

Wow! Wow! Wow! 3hr walls is this an H occupancy? :lol:

I thought we had a light hearted topic on attics and through in a set of stairs for fun! :lol: :lol: :roll: