• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC 2018 deck stair stringer spacing code?

cyberwombat

I am working on some deck stairs and while I see a bunch of stuff online that says the max space between stringers is 18" I am not successful finding the relevant IRC 2018 section if any. My stairs are 6' wide made of 2x6 planks and wish to use 3 risers but not sure if up to code.

Thanks

I am working on some deck stairs and while I see a bunch of stuff online that says the max space between stringers is 18" I am not successful finding the relevant IRC 2018 section if any. My stairs are 6' wide made of 2x6 planks and wish to use 3 risers but not sure if up to code.

Thanks
This is why I am still a fan of the AWC's DCA-6 Manual, even though it is not a code, it is recognized and something you can always point back to as the standard you used in the absence of an answer in the IRC.
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 13.59.35.png

Thanks. So nothing in IRC? I have some stairs I am also making out of thick wood slabs that would hardly need inner support but not sure if there was anything listed.

Thanks. So nothing in IRC? I have some stairs I am also making out of thick wood slabs that would hardly need inner support but not sure if there was anything listed.
No, nothing in the IRC on exterior stairs that serve a deck. This is another reason why either the DCA-6 should have been referenced or brought into the IRC; however, it needed to be legal. It is a great reference on how to build a safe deck and stairs.