• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a "final" inspection final?

MRRPM said:
The final shouldn't have even been scheduled, if there was not a rough done. Am I wrong, or does the gov't always do thing backwards? Number two, is what he did, number one is what he should have done, if he was on his game, that way, we wouldn't be here today.
Generally the inspection is scheduled by the contractor, subcontractor, engineer or owner putting in a request. Last jurisdiction I was in this was fully automated and there are not lockouts for previous inspections not done because different jobs require different inspections. It also provides a lookup feature where anyone can look up the results of all the plans reviews and inspections for any project. A weakness in the system is that anyone can schedule any inspection for any job.

When it first went online some of the homebuilders were unhappy that their buyers could see all the rejections and the review and inspection status

http://www3.co.henrico.va.us/bldg/insp/

conarb said:
Dave:Thanks for that, it's interesting that some jurisdictions here still allow it while others don't, got to be insurance related.
Conarb...Legally I do not believe I can open a live electrical panel. I certainly do not have arc flash gear..But I do.....Otherwise I would not find sexy work like this...

MRRPM....I am sorry your experience wasn't what it should have been. I can't pretend that any AHJ is perfect, far from it. Our code,(and I am sure most others) make the owner or applicant responsible for following the code (knowing what inspections are required) and the AHJ for enforcement. If you took on the role of GC to save some money, you bought that headache with the money you saved.

No jurisdiction around here would have the funding to do the "special inspections" that are required by code, that is why it is put on the owner. Otherwise the taxes or permit fees would go through the roof....

[QUOTE='CDA]Conarb...Legally I do not believe I can open a live electrical panel. I certainly do not have arc flash gear..But I do.....Otherwise I would not find sexy work like this...

[/QUOTE]As long as I can remember we've always had to leave the cover off all panels in the building, after inspection we screw them back on.

MRRPM said:
Well, as far as what they're gonna inspect, all they can inspect is under the covers, in junction boxes, and one 400 amp service, since that's all there is.I get a look inside all of that at the final inspection. The typical rough inspection is conduit and maybe some wire. And no matter what, if I am there for the first time and it's a final, I always look at everything. There are bound to be some outlet boxes within reach of a ladder and the service is an easy reach. So open it up. The conduit, outlet boxes and service equipment can get a rough inspection from the floor.

One supervisor went on to explain to me that they were working on software that wouldn't allow a final, without a rough. It's called a job card. I have employees, and know how people are, I have supervisors and I know how people are. I also know how gov't employees are, and they will NEVER admit fault, and will cover for one another, until the end. I get the idea that you've screwed ole Shepp more than once.

One other thing, we have a very business friendly board of Co Commisioners, and if they were to turn off my power, b/c of a missed rough, that would be political suicide, on the part of the Co. employee. There is no need in disconnecting my power, to an existing bldg, when this new addition is all that is in question, my existing is fine. What size is the main service? You stated that the addition is 400 amps. Was that plan checked with load calcs? Was series rating an issue? How on Earth did they issue a permit to you and the maintenance man?

There has been mention of violations, are missed inspections a violation? How can they be, if the bldg has no CO? It's no different than flat land sitting there. No CO, no violation.

Also, if a Co. employee was to violate law, and turn my power off illegally, I would assume they are out from under the Gov't's umbrella of protection, same as OSHA is, correct? I would think a Co. employee would think twice, before shutting down a business illegally, no? Maybe not, as they have no problem moving forward with final inspections, when roughins have not been done. Are Co. employees trained to know that they are liable, when doing things that are illegal? I would think the Co. would train them that, but who knows.
Your last rant about the loss of electrical service gives you away. When the lights go dark and the motors wind down, you will have yourself to thank.

Last edited by a moderator:
MRRPM Just so you will know. If it were up to me I would throw at least 1/2 of all codes and statutes governing building regs in the frickin trash can. But not for you. You're obviously such a likeable guy.

BS

Guess RPM gave up or got the final , since it seems the consensus is that most would go back and do some type of rough in inspection.

And that most inspectors try to do a good job,

And that the owner/ contractor does have some responsibilty in the construction process

And even """"Hammurabi"""" wanted it done correctly.

conarb said:
People here justify their existence by pointing to ICE's threads, he inspects in a lower socioeconomic area where people are doing a lot of dumb things like installing solar panels, which are today's equivalent of aluminum siding.
That's not fair to the crowd of dedicated code professionals that pay to play here. Nothing I've done has anything to do with justifying their existence.

As to the "lower socioeconomic area" that keeps me busy....trust me on this....I have worked millionaire's row just as hard as billy-goat acres. I find that rich people fvck up just as much as paupers. Of course the rich people's mistakes are way more costly ....but not equitable to the pauper's misfortune.

All things considered I prefer to work in areas with the goat owners as opposed to the Mercedes crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
That's not fair to the crowd of dedicated code professionals that pay to play here. Nothing I've done has anything to do with justifying their existence. As to the "lower socioeconomic area" that keeps me busy....trust me on this....I have worked millionaire's row just as hard as billy2

Ditto and can I can I hear an Amen brother!

BS

Conarb...I find just as many issues with the $30 million jobs as the $3,000...Money does not necessarily = quality. How about a new school where the designer missed a second exit out of a basement? Or a firewall detail showing roof ventilation passing over it? And all of those plans get reviewed by the state or 3rd party before they even get to me.