• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a Fire Pump Room a Wet Location?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Do any of you, in your right mind, consider a fire-pump room to be a wet location because it has a lot of water pipes?

Do you? What would be the reasoning if you do?

cannot speak to electrical question,

But normally there is water on the floor from something associated with the pump set up

No it's not a wet location anymore than the area in the residential basement where you have hot water heaters etc. is a wet area. Just because there are a lot of pipes giving moderate doesn't make it a wet area.

Absolutely not unless there is some sort of required maintenance/ flushing that soaks the room, but I have not seen THAT fire pump yet....

I would not consider a Fire Pump Room a wet location, hopefully there's a floor drain if used for other appliances like a WH.

& = & = &
" Is there a definition for Wet location ? "
Electrically speaking, ...Yes !..........From the NEC:
Location, Wet: "Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in
direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or
other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations
exposed to weather".

& = & = &

Reactions: cda
& = & = &
Electrically speaking, ...Yes !..........From the NEC:
Location, Wet: "Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in
direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or
other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations
exposed to weather".

& = & = &

The only time a fire-pump room gets wet is if there is a failure of a component. I do not agree to call it a wet location. If that is the case then every room in a house or building that has plumbing is a wet location.

Ok per the definition not a wet location

Just some of them not a nice place to be with the pump running, and you are the one who has to trust the electrical install

When you decide to touch the controller and there is some water on the ground

IT depends --- Had one fire pump that dumped cooling water onto the slab trench drain to filter and return to lake ----- So in short the splashing of the water into a badly designed trench drain system made almost everything wet about 30 minutes into the fire pump acceptance test.

The only time a fire-pump room gets wet is if there is a failure of a component. I do not agree to call it a wet location. If that is the case then every room in a house or building that has plumbing is a wet location.

Not a wet location by definition

OK let's open this back up. Chris K brought this to my attention in NEC 695.12(E)

(E) Protection Against Pump Water. Fire pump controller and
power transfer switches shall be located or protected so that
they are not damaged by water escaping from pumps or pump
connections.

So what does this mean to you? A change in NEMA rating for the transfer switches and fire pump controller or simply placing a barrier around them to protect them? There are a lot of pump connections in a pump room...
Thoughts?

OK let's open this back up. Chris K brought this to my attention in NEC 695.12(E)

(E) Protection Against Pump Water. Fire pump controller and
power transfer switches shall be located or protected so that
they are not damaged by water escaping from pumps or pump
connections.

So what does this mean to you? A change in NEMA rating for the transfer switches and fire pump controller or simply placing a barrier around them to protect them? There are a lot of pump connections in a pump room...
Thoughts?

locate fire pump and controller off the ground

http://1-888-builder.com/wp-content/gallery/portraits/1-41.jpg

Hi...i was going through a reading material and found that It is not a wet location as defined in the NEC. But this is sure that some requirements along these lines. The listing standards for fire pump controllers requires the controller to be drip proof and the NEC and NFPA 20 has some requirements to not violate the integrity of the controller enclosure.