• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a Mag-lock Required?

mhorton

Hi all, I'm having trouble determining whether or not 2 doors leading from either side of a Group F3 Parking Garage would require Maglocks. Both doors have card reader devices and automatic door operators. The 1st door leads from the garage to a storage area then to an elevator lobby and the 2nd door leads from the garage to a vestibule then to another elevator lobby. One door however part of an egress path. I tried reviewing the Door release hardware section of the OBC but it wasn't entirely clear about it being needed for a Group F3 occupancy. Would anyone know the code well enough to determine whether mag-locks for these types of doors are needed? Also, can you direct me to other sections of the OBC that would talk about this? Your help would be much appreciated.

Mag locks are never required

They are allowed to be used in certain places.

So not clear on the question

Are any of these doors required exits and or have exit signs above the door?

On the “egress side” is it free egress, one operation to get out??

Does not need mag -locks, just a positive locking device (latch) to keep the doors closed in the event of a fire.

This is assuming that they are located in a required fire separation (sounds like it from your description).

As CDA says, mag locks are never required, there are provisions you must meet if you use them.

The code (in 3.4.6.16.) talks about maglocks being "permitted" to be used. Permitted means they can be used, but are not required.