• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a synchronized double-leaf accessible?

Yikes

Gold Member
ADA/11B-404.2.2 says that when you have double-leaf doors, at least one of the active leaves shall comply with minimum opening width. This typically requires one leaf to be about 36”.
1711412102803.png
We are proposing a bi-parting synchronized sliding pocket door system for a 40" wide opening, where each pocket only has 16" of space - - too small for the usual 36"+ door.
Both leaves are 20" wide, and each will have a D-pull handle. When any leaf is opened 16", the synchronizer also opens the opposite leaf 16", providing a 32" net clear opening in a single motion, and stopping with 4" exposure remaining for the D-handles.
I believe this single motion meets the intent of 404.2.2: the occupant only needs to handle one door leaf to get 32" net clear.
However, on paper, would you consider this approvable?

1711412158657.png

Last edited:
I'd be good with this. Verify that the opening force required is less than 15lbs per A117.1-17 Sec. 404.2.6.
The project is in California, it is not a fire rated door opening, and it has no latch, so CBC 11B-404.2.4.9 limits the operating force to 5 lbs. max. We're omitting any closer, so that should help minimize the force needed to operate.

Are they power operated, what happens if there is a loss of power?
Good question. No, they are not powered doors. I think it uses some kind of cable system to have one door pull the other door open, kind of like how you can pull on a drapery chord in one direction and the curtains will part equally and opposite.
It's similar to this video:

Good question. No, they are not powered doors. I think it uses some kind of cable system to have one door pull the other door open, kind of like how you can pull on a drapery chord in one direction and the curtains will part equally and opposite.
It's similar to this video:
As long as the operating force and hardware meet the standards/code requirements, I see no issues