• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is it a Group E or not?

RLGA

SAWHORSE
2012 IBC is applicable.

A community college has an automotive shop for teaching automobile repairs, etc. (no painting). The construction type is IIB, so I classified the building as Group S-1 for "Motor vehicle repair garages," because it is more restrictive than the Group B for "Education occupancies for students above the 12th grade."

Now my client has told me that the community college hosts courses for high school students with a maximum attendance of 24 students at any given time. Per Section 305.1, this sounds like it is now a Group E. One other factor...students get college credit for the courses they take on the premise. Therefore, even though they are technically 12grade and under, they are taking a college course and getting college credit, which is above the 12th grade.

So, would you classify it as a Group S-1 or a Group E (which is more restrictive)?

Why not college occupancy????

A B ???

Last edited by a moderator:
The physical "classroom" spaces (i.e. with desks and chairs) have an occupant load less than 50, so they wouldn't be a Group A, but a Group B. The "classroom" areas are adjacent to the automotive shop areas (Group S-1) where they do the repairs. But, as I mentioned, the Group S-1 is more restrictive than the Group B, so I'm using the nonseparated occupancies method with the Group S-1 being most restrictive (there is no required separation between a Group S-1 and Group B, so I could use the separated occupancies method, but I chose the simpler method, which works).

The allowable area calculations work fine for Group E, but it just seems odd classifying this particular use as a Group E. There may be other code implications of going with a Group E, which would not be required for a regular college building.

But the majority of the buildings will be college classes

The high school students going there are technically classified as college students.

Still wondering about the s?

If you had a " Training and skill development not within a school or academic program """ involving autos would it be a B??

I don't know...if I teach handling explosives to a group of EOD personnel, is it a Group B or Group H?

I think the hazard of the space (motor vehicle repair) should override the intended purpose of the space (training).

you have a college that happens to have younger students from time to time.

If a building or space had the capability of having 150 occupants and they mostly had only 40 persons in it, would that change the space from use group A to a use group B?

My first thought is will it need all the requirements for a repair garage; fluid containment (control area), ventilation, wash station, etc.?

However I would consider 509.2 Occupancy classification for group B; or possibly group E with Table 509.

Hope this helps.

S-1, The requirements are more restricitve and "fit" more closely with the end use ..... also, there is no guarentee that this program will be here next year due to budget cuts, etc......

The students in this case may be transitional........ the building and the intended use isn't.

The main building occupancy I would classify as Group B (community college). Areas with over OL 50 or over will have to comply with A-3 provisions. Garage area S-1 must comply with mixed occupancy provisions if the area is more than 10% otherwise I would consider Garage an accessory use. If accessory they have to be individually classified so we are back to Group S-1 for garage.

Disclaimer; case by case basis given the information at hand.

Just offering my personal perspective having been taught in several automotive training facilities (GM, Goodyear and Firestone) along the eastern seaboard; there's a big difference in hazards between the training facilities or schools and repair garages.

1) Storage of shop supply (tires, bulk oils, coolant, solvents); repair garages store a large supply for demands, schools very limited storage given to the control and expense of materials.

2) Garages are a factory of many vehicles each disassembled by individuals having combustible and flammable materials exposed to ignition sources. Schools or training facilities usually have limited vehicles repeatedly demonstrated on for training purposes for groups of individuals.

3) As for adults in repair garages work competitively can and do act recklessly endangering others and the general public. Most students behave in a mature fashion following safe practices in hopes of receiving a passing grade for certification.

4) Cleanliness; most repair garages are unkempt even with a cleaning crew after hours. Students clean up after every class (couple of hours).