• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

is it ethical

1313.4 Appliance Shutoff Valves and Connections. Appliances connected to a piping system shall have an accessible, approved manual shutoff valve.......
There is a mechanical permit to install an appliance. (wall furnace) Therefor an approved shutoff valve is required. Well we haven't reached a point where the old valve shall be replaced because it was approved 60 years ago.

There is this section that lends itself to abuse:

107.3.2 The Authority Having Jurisdiction shall have the authority to require tests to be made or repeated if, at any time,

there is reason to believe that any material or device no longer conforms to the requirements on which its approval was based.
But take a look at the requirements for a valve beyond an AHJ approval.

1309.10 Shutoff Valves. Shutoff valves shall be approved and shall be selected giving consideration to pressure drop, service involved, emergency use,

and reliability of operation. Shutoff valves of size 1 inch National Pipe Thread and smaller shall be listed. [NFPA 54:5.12]
Shutoff valves of size 1 inch National Pipe Thread and smaller shall be listed

It could be that the old valve had a listing 60 years ago.

Or perhaps the concept of "listed" wasn't born yet.

The old valves listing status is not important.

The listing for the valve that will serve the new appliance is the listing that's required.

That Listing won't be 60 years old.

Why do you suppose a valve larger than 1" NPT isn't required to be listed?

One thing that I didn't find is the requirement that a shutoff valve not require the use of a tool. Appendix? Anybody know where that is now?

Backing up to the OP. I didn't ask if the use of a 60 year old valve was a code violation. I asked if it was ethical. Ethical was lost to code violation. I also didn't stipulate how I apply the pencil regarding old valves.

I don't know why there was so much confusion...it's right there in the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
High Desert said:
ICE, you asked for input and you don't like what you got from UB? Then don't ask what other people think. No need for a tirade, now.
Tirade?

You Shirley are a sensitive one.

So if I ask what other people think ....

proper decorum dictates that I like what they have to say?

You didn't say anything about the topic of a valve so now I'm left wondering if I have to like what you said or not. Gosh this can be tougher than I thought.

I suppose it wouldn't be ethical if someone who knew it was old and didn't work kept it there. I don't think you said if it worked or not. On the other hand, if the responsible party didn't know any better and truly thought it was okay, then there would be no ethical issue IMHO. And you're right, you don't have to like what I say...a lot of people don't.

High Desert said:
And you're right, you don't have to like what I say...a lot of people don't.
I didn't say that I didn't. I said that I didn't know if I'm required to.

High Desert said:
I suppose it wouldn't be ethical if someone who knew it was old and didn't work kept it there. I don't think you said if it worked or not. On the other hand, if the responsible party didn't know any better and truly thought it was okay, then there would be no ethical issue IMHO.
I don't know if it works or not.

Your hypothetical example has a faulty valve and a clueless contractor who didn't know any better and moreover, truly thought it was okay. That's not no harm, no foul. That's a gas leak. But in as much as the workman is too dense to know any better he/she has not committed an ethical breach. What about messing with gas appliances to begin with? Oh but if he doesn't realize his mistake.....Did you know that Indians wouldn't screw with crazy people?