• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is licensed architect required for a garage?

funnysunny

My house doesn't have garage and I am planning to add one. Do you guys know whether I must get a licensed architect to draw the blueprints when applying for the permit? I have someone who can help me do it but he just doesn't have a license.

Any thoughts?

Welcome

P.A. ???

Need to ask the locals, final say will be up to them.

Garage only?? No man cave or in law room above??

Detached or attached to house

Might want to contact your city or county and ask. Some lumberyards have garage packages that may have enough information for the permitting.

ditto, only required if you exceed span tables. Most departments have a standard plan for you to follow.

I appreciate all your thoughts and will definitely check with the township.
You will also want to talk to the zoning (planning) department. If your town requires design review, which many do, it can be complex, and a local architect will be familiar with all the requirements.

The local building commissioner or zoning officer is usually responsible for interpreting and enforcing the zoning ordinance so start there.