• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is outdoor foot wash considered a Shower?

BrianSD

We are a California Hoa and want to install a cold water only foot shower outside our pool area to wash off beach sand. We would like to drain to the street as it is fresh water. We will get a permit for the fresh water connection but do not want it to be considered a "shower" and be required to connect to sanitary sewer. Any thoughts how we should proceed?
Thank you in advance for your help.

I am doubtful that washing sand into a drain would work unless there is a sand separating device. Showers at beaches do not have drains.

How about draining into a gravel dry sump with an overflow to the street. Total pipe run is 20'. Not as much sand as a beach shower will produce but, indeed there will be sand.

I would suggest you speak with the Building department, as well as the stormwater management entity. (ours is Public Works)

Most California cities have a problem with anything other than rainwater draining to the street. We haven't a clue and as fatboy stated, the city that you are in has the answer.

I am surprised that the runoff from landscape irrigation is allowed. That's an obvious hole in the regulations with wasted water that contains fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.

When I rains the work email that I no longer have would send me a message advising me to stay out of the ocean because the runoff from human habitation is deadly. The message was wasted on me due to a healthy respect for sharks. I used to free-dive at Pigeon Point until a diver was bitten by a great white. I missed the abalone but not the 52° water. Pigeon Point is now a nature preserve so it's off limits. Down the coast a ways is Davenport Beach. It's a bit of a far kick to the kelp beds but we found ten inch red abalone.

Trim and pound the whole abalone with a convex head wood hammer…. softly. Wrap the abalone, a lot of jack cheese and half a stick of butter in tinfoil. Bake for one hour at 350°. Gosh it was good.
Freeze the trimmings in a paper milk carton. The next time you dive, place the frozen trimmings in a mesh bag….tie the bag to your float anchor. Every time that you return to the float, check the bag. You will find a cabezon sitting there with the rope coming out of it’s mouth. The fish relies on camouflage.…but your brain is bigger and better. Spear the fish….repeat.

Last edited:
Since you said it is an "HOA", I assume this is all privately funded housing. Is that correct?
In that case CBC chapter 11A may apply if the project is considered multifamily housing (apartments, condos, etc.).
CBC 1127A.1 says that common use facilities on covered multifamily housing developments shall be accessible to persons with disabilities. Entrances, doors fixtures and controls shall be on an accessible route.

Your foot wash does not match the description of a "shower" (see post #6 above), but it is a "facility" amenity and per 1127A.1 item #5, and it will need:
1. An accessible route to the facility
2. Accessible controls (and dispensers if applicable). See CBC 1138A.3 for control reach ranges.

1645577666646.png

The OP was about whether or not it could drain to sanitary, or storm drainage, not accessibility. Just keeping it in it's lane.

I'm in So Cal. No more abalone here for over 30 years. Sad.
Regarding the foot wash. We are simply going to drain to a gravel sump. No soap. Just cold water and sand. No overflow pipe to street either.
Appreciate the help guys.