• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is power even required?

gfretwell said:
Why not? Don't you do a rough? Don't they give you enough time to do your inspections?I agree with those who say you can't properly evaluate illumination and GFCI/AFCI/Smoke alarm protection without power.

Usually we end up with a partial inspection after dry in, at the time that they get the garage and outside outlets installed where we inspect the panel and GES. Power comes in then and becomes the temporary construction power. Next will be the F,E,P,A/C rough then the drywall goes up, trim out etc and we get the final.
I have asked this before and didn't get an answer maybe I will this time. How do you check for the amount of candle light Power emitted by the lighting fixtures?

You look for dark spots. Usually the minimum illumination required is so low that a pretty modest amount of light will meet the spec but there has to be some light. Usually you are really just being sure the 3 ways on the steps are wired right. An alarming number are not.

More important is actually the smokes and GFCI/AFCI operation. I suppose you could hand over hand down all of the cables in the rough to verify what is fed by which breaker but testing them live is a whole lot easier and more effective. These days virtually everything needs to be AFCI in res. so it is not as hard to check. You still have the GFCIs tho.

There is Off Grid and there is "Without Power".

As we are going towards zero energy structures, these options are going to be more achievable. Providing not prohibited otherwise by ordinance or such.

Off Grid can be powered not only by solar, but wind. Wind options vary in scale and are more apt to meet current needs.

Plus as other mentioned, they maybe fueled generators.

If hydrogen fuel cells come to be a reality, this would be the most likely fuel source for those. I mean, they have touted your car could be used to power your house. Plug it JW, plug it in. Though it appears NFPA will need to be schooled for that to be towards your satisfaction.

I don't know if a utility has to provide you/your site with power.

If the site is generating its own power and is connected to the grid. There is a point where you become commercial and the utility doesn't have to buy the power.

As for illumination, with either day light or LED, both of these things can be done with very little power.

there are places that don't inspect residential homes. i know a bunch of folks who aren't connected to the grid. don't know for sure if they were inspected, or if it's req'd. i don't care. one guy has solar and gas. (propane) and solar with storage batteries. runs his home quite well, in upstate ny. when the sun don't shine, the gas geny runs. yeah, you have to plan for "wash days" etc, but gas fridge, running water, it's all possible. they use electric and gas lights. wood heat and gas heat. anything is possible if one is willing to think "outside the box" we've all been so darned conditioned to. when i was growing up the only electric we used was for lights and outlets. my dad gutted a gas fired water heater and we built a brick fire box under it, and it worked fine. we heated and cooked on wood. all year. i'd do it again in minute. it kept the electric copmpany out of his pocket, gave me good times with him in the woods learning how to work and be independant of "the system" to an extent. solar will work, you don't need the grid. gas will work, wood will work, diesel engines were originally designed to run on vegetable oil. it only after the fuel companies got hold of the designs , and rudolf diesel killed, were people sold a "bill of goods" that had then believe otherwise. if you want to be real creative you can generate fuel from chicken poop. water power, all electric beagn with a simple water wheel of some sort, and generator.

NY has what was called the Amish exemption, with apologies to other religious believers and groups whao may also qualify:

E3301.2.2 Owner occupied one-family dwellings. Owner occupied one-family dwellings and accessory structures shall not be required to be provided with electrical power, wiring, devices and equipment, subject to the approval of the code enforcement official. If an on-site electrical power system is installed or used, all electrical wiring, devices and equipment in such system shall comply with Chapters 33 through 42.

Although it is not codified in the state law, there are places around here that never see inspectors, permits or any of that. Until someone files a complaint they probably never will and there is really nobody out there who will complain. "After the fact" code enforcement is almost 100% complaint driven.

Basically, if you don't get caught in the building process and your neighbors mind their own business, you can build just about anything you want in the unincorporated parts of the counties.

I suppose some day that could change.

(a) residential buildings containing less than five dwelling units or their attached-to structures, any farm or ranch building of any size, and any private garage or private storage structure of any size used only for the owner's own use, located within a county, city, or town, unless the local legislative body by ordinance or resolution makes the state building code applicable to these structures

Left up to the local jurisdiction if a SFR is required to meet code. No power not an issue in the majority of rural areas in this state since only 2 counties in the state have adoppted building codes.

FWIW

Workgroup1Agenda12-13-12.jpg

Francis

cda said:
Welcome tebennon Since no one else wants to say it

How did you find us??? Been on awhile and first post!!!!
Thanks :) I tend to lurk more than I post (obviously :D ) but I was really interested in hearing from people who've permitted "off the grid" structures (not to be confused with those without power). I guess what I'm hearing is that my assessment in my previous post is correct then?