• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is there a reqirement for an open air access to an interior courtyard.

architerp06

We have been providing an open corridor into the interior courtyard of wrap apartment buildings as common practice, however is there an actual code requirement anywhere?

We have been providing an open corridor into the interior courtyard of wrap apartment buildings as common practice, however is there an actual code requirement anywhere?

Might be needed as exit out of it??

If not provided, how would they acccess it??

Not Dallas, but it is in Texas, therefore the 2015 IBC.
We have two exits from the courtyard, but we had one open through a gate, the developer wants to enclose with a storefront entry.

Still a little lost,

Is the answer yes you can do what you propose, as long as you can code exit out of the area.

As far as who, what, when can get into the area, seems like since an apartment complex, management can control that however they want.

Simple answer....NO......But you have to meet all other exiting requirements from the courtyard such as travel distance, CPET, etc....If it is a large courtyard it will be tough unless you make the "corridor" an exit passageway..

I have all of the exiting requirements taken care of. That's not my question.
Is there a requirement in the code that an opening for outside air/makeup air be provided for a courtyard?

I have all of the exiting requirements taken care of. That's not my question.
Is there a requirement in the code that an opening for outside air/makeup air be provided for a courtyard?

Ok now the original question has changed.

I always considered a court or courtyard to be open at the top.
Why would you need make-up air in an area that is open to the atmosphere?

interior courtyard???

Food court?

If enclosed, wonder how the fire sprinkler system looks?

To what would you support the fire sprinklers if open to the sky?

If a shade structure is provided then the horses color changes and FS might then be required.

The initial question was general in nature, we are now discussing specific condition clarifiers.

ATRIUM. An opening connecting two or more stories other than enclosed stairways, elevators, .... of suites....
Can be an apartment building.

Yes you need make-up air

He uses the terms "interior Courtyard" and "wrap" apartments which to me implies "open air"; is it enclosed or isn't it?

There is no specific requirement for ventilation; however, there may be requirements related to adjacent fire resistance ratings. It seems as though this space is functioning as an egress court (similar to an exit discharge). Refer to Section 1028.4:

https://up.codes/viewer/general/int_building_code_2015/chapter/10/means-of-egress#1028

Also, with regards to the storefront door - that is not permitted unless it is a side hinged swinging door (refer to Section 1010)

https://up.codes/viewer/general/int_building_code_2015/chapter/10/means-of-egress#1010