• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is there a setback from house requirement for outdoor shower structure

hardroadz

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a minimum setback from house structure for a free standing outdoor shower structure. I am aware it needs to drain to main sewer line, but someone was telling me there is a minimum setback from house requirement. I have scoured the Internet and found nothing on this subject, which leads me to believe that me maybe wrong. Any knowledge you can you share on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I am in Roseville, CA which is in Placer County.

Many Thanks in Advance,
Robert

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a minimum setback from house structure for a free standing outdoor shower structure. I am aware it needs to drain to main sewer line, but someone was telling me there is a minimum setback from house requirement. I have scoured the Internet and found nothing on this subject, which leads me to believe that me maybe wrong. Any knowledge you can you share on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I am in Roseville, CA which is in Placer County.

Many Thanks in Advance,
Robert
Sorry, typo, I mean to say that I have scoured the Internet and found nothing on this subject which leads me to believe my friend may be wrong about the setback requirement.

I've seen quite a few attached to house so hard to imagine there's a separation required, but someone here will know.

No setback is required by any code that I am aware of. The planning department has setbacks from property lines that you need to be aware of.

If this is okay, a shower is certainly allowed.

URINAL.jpg

Last edited:
No setback is required by any code that I am aware of. The planning department has setbacks from property lines that you need to be aware of.

If this is okay, a shower is certainly allowed.

View attachment 9107Thank you! You made my day. I was scratching was head at what my friend said, because several neighbors have wooden pergolas right up against their houses, and those would be just as flammable as an outdoor shower in terms of fire hazard. One follow-up question: Does it matter that my shower will partially obstruct the view of one window? I am assuming this would not be an issue, but wanted to double-check. It is really hard to find code information on outdoor showers for CA.

hardroadsz wrote:
"One follow-up question: Does it matter that my shower will partially obstruct the view of one window?"

That depends on the window. If the window is an emergency escape and rescue opening, then you probably can't obstruct the window.
R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue opening required.
Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening.
R310.2.1 Minimum opening area. Emergency and escape rescue openings shall have a net clear opening of not less than 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2). The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. The net clear height of the opening shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm) and the net clear width shall be not less than 20 inches (508 mm).

A second item has to do with required light and ventilation. While not a life/safety issue there might be a problem.

The third consideration is a wife/happy issue. I know that mine would not like having a window blocked.

hardroadsz wrote:
"One follow-up question: Does it matter that my shower will partially obstruct the view of one window?"

That depends on the window. If the window is an emergency escape and rescue opening, then you probably can't obstruct the window.
R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue opening required.
Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening.
R310.2.1 Minimum opening area. Emergency and escape rescue openings shall have a net clear opening of not less than 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2). The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. The net clear height of the opening shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm) and the net clear width shall be not less than 20 inches (508 mm).

A second item has to do with required light and ventilation. While not a life/safety issue there might be a problem.

The third consideration is a wife/happy issue. I know that mine would not like having a window blocked.
Thank you, ICE, for the feedback!

The shower structure is blocking about a third of a very large window in the living room, but there is another right next to it, that will remain unobstructed. for both windows the opening part remains unobstructed. Also, there is a glass sliding door 6ft for another means of emergency egress. Ironically, the wife requested this precise location, but I don't mind because this pergola style shower will block some of the oppressive Sacramento sun coming from the east from about 7am to 1pm.

Is there a way to upload an image to these posts? I would love for you all to take a look at it. Thanks~Robert