• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is this space a corridor or part of the room?

Mech

2009 IBC

A2 Restaurant

Two exits required and provided. What is the area labeled "What is this?" Is it a corridor requiring a fire rating (no sprinklers) or just an extension of the seating area which does not require a fire rating? There are no tables or other obstructions in the questionable area other than the door from the stairs.

Thanks

mech-albums-diagrams-picture2083-flrpln.jpg

I believe that this is not a corridor as it does not meet the definition of a corridor....2012 IBC CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that defines

and provides a path of egress travel to an exit.

It is not enclosed.............thus any smoke from a bathroom trash can fire can be readily visible to any occupants

My area of concern are the following:

Undetermined deck size and occupant load which should have an impact of the number which of plumbing fixtures required.

storage under the stairs...

accessibility for the deck area

stairway width, handrails, guards,

etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Corridors are still not clear to me.

As Builder Bob stated, the definition of corridor is "An enclosed exit access component that defines

and provides a path of egress travel to an exit." Can someone define it using different words for me?

What is the definition of enclosed in this context? Full height walls, a ceiling, and a floor? Full height walls, a ceiling, a floor, and doors at both ends?

This "area" on the sketch has a floor, a ceiling, and walls to the ceiling. It provides a path of egress travel from the seating area to the second required exit - the double doors leading to the exterior deck. If occupants need to travel through this box, why would it not be considered a corridor?

Is this not a corridor because there are no occupiable spaces on either side?

When would this area be considered a corridor?

If doors were added to separate the seating area from this area, would it now be considered a corridor?:banghd

Maybe I need some of these . . . :chpill :chpill :chpill.

To answer some of Builder Bob's questions/concerns.

My area of concern are the following:Undetermined deck size and occupant load which should have an impact of the number which of plumbing fixtures required.
Inside occupant load is 99. Any more and the building needs sprinklers. The AHJ is working with us as this is a landmark building from way back when. I found an article stating the building existed in 1840, but I can not determine when it was built. Sufficient plumbing fixtures will be provided for the indoor and outdoor occupants.

storage under the stairs...
These are new stairs leading to an existing area below the first floor, which is just utility space. This area could be a crawl space with less than 7 ft clearance or a basement with projections every foot in the form of floor joists. So I guess dirt will be stored under the stairs. The :chpill is kicking in. :lol:
accessibility for the deck area
Accessibility is through the building. Egress will be another issue, probably discussed in a separate thread.
stairway width, handrails, guards,
All items will be designed to meet code.

IMHO this is open to interpretation, which is OK. Not all buildings fit into neat little cookie-cutter forms that are easy to define. If you were to take a big office building with totally closed offices and a long hallway going from stairwell to stairwell, that is pretty darn clear that it is a corridor. Now what happens if you take that same office building and take out all the walls and put in cubicles in the same arrangement. Is that long "walkway" still a corridor? I would say no, but others might disagree.

For me, this is one of those moments where you have to fall back on the "intent and purpose" of the code. Rated corridors are there to protect building occupants during evacuation from a fire emergency. Now apply that logic to your given floor plan. Does it do any good to enclose that little space and put fire barriers and fire doors? No it does not = not a corridor.

Just my $0.02.

I think what you see is a corridor example

I stopped calling them that after a few classes from some knowledgable people

To me if it is kind of a straight short shot not worth messing with

Kilitact - It may end up with a rating, it may not. The exact design is still in limbo.

Builder Bob said:
In essence, a corridor has to have the ability to isolate a means of egress and provide an enclosure with all six sides, I believe that the old UBC would have classified this as a hallway...
Disagree

I would say if you have a very long corridor like in this example I would than rate it

Just like mall corridors bug me, they do not need a rated door from the main mall into the corridor

Builder Bob said:
cda, I agree with your opinion, however, the word enclosure is the troublesome spot in this discussion - the depiction of the plans do not provide an enclosure as the end of the box is still open..
I do not believe a rated corridor has to be sealed on six sides

Or even five