• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is this wrong?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
View attachment 481

I ran across this yesterday and since I finally learned how to post a picture I thought I would get some feedback on this installation

2006 IRC seismic zone "D1" Garage door header continous from outside wall to outside. Strap ties the header to the stud as required under R602.10.6.2 #1. A strap with an uplift capacity of not less than 1000 pounds (4448 N) shall fasten the header to the side of the inner studs opposite the sheathing.

Any comments?

Do you have data on the strap capacity? Does the blue highlighted sentence above call for straps on every stud?

Foe some reason I was thinking that the strap was required to be a minimum of 18" and "nailed" with 16D's not screwed on. Now this might be a Simpson strap that is an approved strap.....

It also looks like they screwded the screws right into the joint in the two studs.....not much holding power there!

It is a properly rated strap and nailed not screwed but you saw what concerns me the nails are "right into the joint in the two studs.....not much holding power there!"

I believe the nails should be located in the middle third of the studs.

mtlogcabin,

If you supply us with the manufacturer & model number, we can assist you

in looking for its installation reqs.

If it is a simpson ST2122, which it appears to be, it could be ok If it was properly installed which it is not. I agree, need more info on the strap before moving it over.

GPE

mtlogcabin

What about showing the contractor the diagram in the IRC?

FIGURE R602.10.6.2 ALTERNATE BRACED WALL PANEL ADJACENT TO A DOOR OR WINDOW OPENING

ICODA2010070614395330671.jpg

FWIW, I DID check Simpson-Strongtie' catalog for this particular strap ( see pgs. 148-149

- Wood Construction Connectors ), and there was nothing that I could find to specifically

require "center nailing" of the fasteners. I also checked their Nail Design Information

and did not see anything specific.

From their ( Simpson-Strongtie ) General Notes section:

Note "j": "A fastener that splits the wood will not take the design load. Evaluate splits to determine if

the connection will perform as required. Dry wood may split more easily and should be evaluated as

required. If wood tends to split, consider pre-boring holes with diameters not exceeding .75 of the nail

diameter (2005 NDS 11.1.5.3) or use a ⁵⁄₃₂" bit for SDS screws."

Last edited by a moderator:
ok...per simpson, nail holes at 1 1/2". I can't nail that to a single stud.

dbl std face nailed per table 602.3(1)

also table R602.3(2) for sheathing

The above are right. Shift that strap over so the nails are going into the center of the studs.

The nails need to go into the members, not the joint between. The strap wants to be as close to the end of the wall as feasible, The studs need to be nailed together with same spacing as plywood nailing.

For the location of the nails, unfortunately, the language in the IRC (R602.3 for example) says either use the NDS or the tables in the IRC. The NDS has specific (minimum) edge distance requirements, I can find none in the IRC. You could perhaps show intent of the code using the NDS edge distance requirements, but hard and fast language will, I believe, be difficult.

Globe: You have the right detail. The install I would fail. MT nice picture. It would be helpful to see the hole thing. How is it secured at the bottom. What you showed is not Portal framing.

MT. You need to look at the detail in the 09 irc. Globe posted it. The straps on the inside do nothing. The lower straps on the outside need to continue up and intersect with the header. Don not approve what you have shown. It is not in compliance.

I know the pictures do not show everything but it is exactly what globe posted

24" panels on both sides of the opening 2 - 4200 pound straps on each panell properly nailed. 7/16 osb properly nailed. basically a double portal frame garage opening.

RJJ where does it state that the straps are required to go all the way up to and connect to it?

Now on the inside you have straps that are required to connect to the studs and header but not the bottom straps.